PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
While I don't think the bigger name blenders in our hobby are on here at every point in every day like many of us are, evidence shows that they are at least aware of us and of questions we might have regarding their work our enjoyment of it. As others have mentioned Russ O, Greg Pease, and ErnieQ will all pop on here to answer questions on occasion, and retailers such as SPC have a presence as well (Sykes Wilford just answered a shipping question yesterday).

Reactions: mso489 and BROBS

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I must be blind. I have never seen Sykes or Ted or Greg get disrespected on this site. I know if I did see it I would not stay quiet. Those guys are incredible sources of info and only people not too bright would not appreciate their efforts.
It's less the blenders (though I've seen some bad behavior directed toward a few of them) than major pipe collectors and historians. It is what it is.

Reactions: mso489

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The incident I listed happened on another site to Greg Pease. A guy posted that he had little use for experts, saying this to a top or top of the top-tier blender. Pease didn't say anything, and although he posted every so often, I did 't see him post thereafter.

Aug 1, 2012
Seeing the absolute non-consensual shagging the sponsors have received here, I don't believe that pros have much incentive to be here. I can't blame them if they steer clear. I can also see why we have lost some sponsors over the years due to it.

One small example is the Surepost thread. Sykes came in to explain and instead of anyone responding to the well reasoned post by the representative of one of our sponsors, he was ignored and we just kept bitching.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
The incident I listed happened on another site to Greg Pease. A guy posted that he had little use for experts, saying this to a top or top of the top-tier blender. Pease didn't say anything, and although he posted every so often, I did 't see him post thereafter.
That’s unfortunate! It is puzzling why Greg would get upset over such a thing, but definitely a shame as his opinion and comments would be welcome very much IMHO.☕

Reactions: mso489
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Seeing the absolute non-consensual shagging the sponsors have received here, I don't believe that pros have much incentive to be here. I can't blame them if they steer clear. I can also see why we have lost some sponsors over the years due to it.

One small example is the Surepost thread. Sykes came in to explain and instead of anyone responding to the well reasoned post by the representative of one of our sponsors, he was ignored and we just kept bitching.
I don’t know. I hope he doesn’t feel that way. I thought most of the negativity was aimed at Surepost rather than at Smokingpipes. I hate Surepost, but I think Smokingpipes is top notch, and I imagine so do the other folks that sounded off in the thread. I know I always check there for my purchases before any other place. I thought his explanation was good, and well-received. At least he cared enough to explain their position. That goes a long way with me.

Aug 1, 2012
I don’t know. I hope he doesn’t feel that way. I thought most of the negativity was aimed at Surepost rather than at Smokingpipes. I hate Surepost, but I think Smokingpipes is top notch, and I imagine so do the other folks that sounded off in the thread. I know I always check there for my purchases before any other place. I thought his explanation was good, and well-received. At least he cared enough to explain their position. That goes a long way with me.
I hear ya. However when he came along to explain and virtually nobody engaged him and instead we kept complaining, incidentally SP was mentioned several times before and after his attempt to engage us, that could be seen as discouraging.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
My limited experience with forums is that members, through daily posting, can begin to believe they are a bigger sample then they really are. Many of my pipe smoking friends don’t even know about this forum. That is not to put it down in any way. I just joined and I like it here. It is just to say that there are many more people in the world of pipes that have extensive collections, much knowledge, and spend their money without even being aware of these forums. After so many posts it seems many become an expert.

Just today I was reading on another forum as a “pipe maker” that has made over 500 pipes was preaching and spreading the gospel. I thought to myself he has much more knowledge on the subject then me but to disregard companies that make 500 pipes in a day/week/month as if he knows better was a case of “too big for your britches” in my inexperienced opinion.

Then again what do I know? I’m just a “junior member” :)
A great discussion question though MSO.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

Pretty sure I responded to him. Also no one reads so that’s a problem.

Aug 1, 2012
Pretty sure I responded to him. Also no one reads so that’s a problem.
Yes you did...but I wouldn't say the tone encouraged more interaction...

As to the reading part, I agree. It's a big problem on most forums too. If it's not in the first 3-4 posts, it's not read.

Incidentally I don't like Surepost either.

Reactions: BROBS

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I must be blind. I have never seen Sykes or Ted or Greg get disrespected on this site. I know if I did see it I would not stay quiet. Those guys are incredible sources of info and only people not too bright would not appreciate their efforts.
I zero in on "not too bright." Although pipe smokers write and think better than many segments of society, other prefer to watch a video more than read an article. If we raise the bar from an article to reading a book, 98% of the sample will drop out.

Keeping one's mouth shut at this dismal spectacle and focusing instead on acceptance and tolerance can prevent social injury and contain one's disgust.

The ignorant don't know that they are ignorant and maintain their illiterate status quo.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some posts assume, fairly enough I guess, that I expect tobacconist professionals to participate as members in Forums. In fact, if a pro were to want to use Forums as a focus group, heavily on a regular basis, there would be good reason to read it but not participate, to maintain anonymity and some level of objectivity. No one would be arguing your professional knowledge, and you wouldn't be tipping the scales. I value it highly when Russ, Jeremy, jiminks, pipestud, and sable (some salaried pros, and others deeply educated amateurs) participate here. But equally, I would think pros would selectively scan these posts without ever being known to the membership. So my question isn't, are they members, but do they read us for professional information. Especially anyone involved with marketing might do so. Many of the smaller companies have no marketing staff at all, so having some market input at no cost would seem an obvious move. They would need only to scan and cherry pick what is a value and ignore the rest -- that would be the skill required, plus the ability to do that in about twenty minutes a week.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I zero in on "not too bright." Although pipe smokers write and think better than many segments of society, other prefer to watch a video more than read an article. If we raise the bar from an article to reading a book, 98% of the sample will drop out.

Keeping one's mouth shut at this dismal spectacle and focusing instead on acceptance and tolerance can prevent social injury and contain one's disgust.

The ignorant don't know that they are ignorant and maintain their illiterate status quo.

What on earth do you keep going on about? Haha

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
What on earth do you keep going on about? Haha
SALTEDPLUG:
5115dd2a07c2b5fec8e276c38e0b8ff8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.