PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Can't imagine why industry people wouldn't want to see what people are saying about their work. Jeremy Reeves just posted to the thread What Does A Naturally Sweet Virgina Taste Like? So.. he's looking.

I think the bigger problem is the search engine here isn't very reliable. I'm guessing it would be pretty hard to data mine this place for stats. At least for anyone outside of the owners.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I know pros join Forums and participate from time to time. But do those and others read it for market research, whether they join or not? If I were in the biz, I think I'd scan it regularly, skip a good bit of it as social conversation, but attend to info about products, trends, complaints, and point-of-view. It's a Focus group, in effect, at no cost to them. It's kind of crazy not to take a look, in a methodical way.
Definitely agree, and for the same reason I think it would be smart for them to keep an eye on Instagram trends and Facebook groups, even if they despise social media.

Reactions: mso489

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A Tsuge at any price will not compromise quality. Given maintenance, these pipes will last a lifetime. The only trouble is, you must get them while they are available.

The advantage of Forums over other social media is that it is more focused and would require less time to scan; it is well organized and somewhat predictable. The marketing person at a tobacco outfit has to be able to get what they need in twenty minutes once or twice a week to be cost effective, I'd say.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I bet they pay some attention. They can find out important things before they become a big problem. Though I imagine it's kind of dangerous for them to give personal comments. Since there is always the chance they'll offend someone just because they didn't like a movie or something like that.

Reactions: BROBS

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Why all the love for Tsuge factory pipes, not that I know anything about them. The only thing striking is the strikingly low price. But a factory pipe remains no more than that?
Implying that there is something negative about factory pipes?

A custom built completely bespoke sports car might drive a little nicer than my Toyota, but my Toyota is better at carrying my family, and is far more reliable and longer lasting, with easily obtainable parts. Therefore, the Toyota is a superior vehicle for everything that actually matters to me.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Why all the love for Tsuge factory pipes, not that I know anything about them. The only thing striking is the strikingly low price. But a factory pipe remains no more than that?
I’ll run with that. I’ve had maybe five Tsuge factory pipes. They all sucked ass.
The three Tsuge hand mades I’ve had weren’t anything to write home about.
A few years ago, the Tsuge Triangles were all the rage on SP. I was too many times bitten to even try them at that point.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and jdb67

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I find this forum to be a wealth of information from my fellow hobbyists. Over the years the members here have answered a ton of questions for me, both personally and by my reading what is written about pipes and tobaccos from you folks. Every once in awhile someone takes a jab at me - and more often than not I deserved it - but most are overly kind, even when offering a piece of advice regarding my selling of pipes and vintage tobaccos.

In a nutshell, pipesmagazine.com is of immeasurable value when it comes to market research for pipes and tobaccos sellers, IMO. And I advertise on this site because my website analytics tells me that doing so is well worth the dollars spent.

My thanks to all of you for being a major part of my professional life!

Steve

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
In general the pros don't have a high opinion for the forums. I've seen them openly disrespected, and they don't think that we have good manners.

This forum has better manners than pretty much the entirety of the internet!

As others have said, we do know that some of the big pros read this forum. IMO it's a good source of free information to see what the most fanatical consumers of their products think about various relevant topics.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
A few years ago sablebrush had a convo with a number of the luminaries at a pipeshow, I think in Las Vegas, and warmly invited them to come on down. I believe he said, and I've heard others say this, too, that they don't feel the love; that when here they want a pleasant atmosphere as they get plenty of the opposite when out in the world.

I think the tight yet still reasonable moderation has helped create a neutral/pleasant atmosphere.

pipestud, I aspire to your humility.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
A few years ago sablebrush had a convo with a number of the luminaries at a pipeshow, I think in Las Vegas, and warmly invited them to come on down. I believe he said, and I've heard others say this, too, that they don't feel the love; that when here they want a pleasant atmosphere as they get plenty of the opposite when out in the world.

I think the tight yet still reasonable moderation has helped create a neutral/pleasant atmosphere.

pipestud, I aspire to your humility.
I need to do this less these days, but when I have something to say that is unpopular and I feel I must say it, I do. If you feel that you must respond, you are free to do so. But that's it. I said my piece and you said yours, and I don't respond past that.

Reactions: Papamique and BROBS

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Ernie Q and Ken Byron are active on a different forum but they're not big name blenders. Pease, Russ O and Jeremy Reeves are the ones I've seen here, but it's pretty rare. I can't think of any famous blender who posts regularly and habitually. I think it's like jpberg said, they probably get tired of answering the same questions repeatedly. That's what websites and customer support are for.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I've noticed that the master blenders on here never or very rarely start threads, but they sometimes post when a serious question regarding their product comes up. Russ Ouellette, Greg Pease and Per Jensen all do this from time to time.
This tells me that they do indeed take an interest in our forum.
I would like it to be more about tobaccos and less about pipes and packing techniques, but that's just me.
Then again, if it was, maybe they'd participate more.

Status
Not open for further replies.