PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I know for a fact that all the powers that be, hang on my every word. They know I have the pulse of the community and they don't want to miss a word that enlightens the entire pipe world.
Yay verily, and double yay!! Brilliant!! Brilliant!! cigrmaster for president!!

(I nominate myself to be your campaign finance minister, not that I'd be caught with my hand in the till. I just became Moslem and my favorite parts of the day are salaaming toward Mecca. As such I have been scrubbed stupendously clean by the nectar of Allah's grace, so you can count on me to turn over every cent of the receipts. However, while fundraising for you I may from time to time fundraise for myself. I hope I can keep straight about who gets what. I hope you understand.)

Reactions: BROBS

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I've been a member of quite a few diverse forums over the years, horticulture/gardening, automotive, bodybuilding, art, all sorts of things. Every single forum universally had the same issue with "pros" and posting. Some (not all, by any means) "professionals" believe that being employed, in whatever their industry of choice is, entitles them to preferential treatment. Forum members, by and large, will not give them said preferential treatment, and on occasion will even be outright dicks to said professionals. Some (not all), professionals get butthurt by the perceived or actual lack of respect for their job, which they believe deserves celebrity status for some silly reason. The butthurt causes them to stop posting. It's not unique to this forum or industry, it is universal across all forums.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I've been a member of quite a few diverse forums over the years, horticulture/gardening, automotive, bodybuilding, art, all sorts of things. Every single forum universally had the same issue with "pros" and posting. Some (not all, by any means) "professionals" believe that being employed, in whatever their industry of choice is, entitles them to preferential treatment. Forum members, by and large, will not give them said preferential treatment, and on occasion will even be outright dicks to said professionals. Some (not all), professionals get butthurt by the perceived or actual lack of respect for their job, which they believe deserves celebrity status for some silly reason. The butthurt causes them to stop posting. It's not unique to this forum or industry, it is universal across all forums.

I’d pay money to be a member of a horticulturist mechanics bodybuilding artist forum.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Some posts assume, fairly enough I guess, that I expect tobacconist professionals to participate as members in Forums. In fact, if a pro were to want to use Forums as a focus group, heavily on a regular basis, there would be good reason to read it but not participate, to maintain anonymity and some level of objectivity. No one would be arguing your professional knowledge, and you wouldn't be tipping the scales. I value it highly when Russ, Jeremy, jiminks, pipestud, and sable (some salaried pros, and others deeply educated amateurs) participate here. But equally, I would think pros would selectively scan these posts without ever being known to the membership. So my question isn't, are they members, but do they read us for professional information. Especially anyone involved with marketing might do so. Many of the smaller companies have no marketing staff at all, so having some market input at no cost would seem an obvious move. They would need only to scan and cherry pick what is a value and ignore the rest -- that would be the skill required, plus the ability to do that in about twenty minutes a week.
They may do this, I suppose. This does assume that such a small selection of pipe smokers would be useful. As you say, it would be an avenue of free marketing research so it is possible and I would think even probable.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I may be off the mark here, but it sounds like some folks think that professionals must all have super thin skin or extremely fragile egos that must be maintained. I don’t believe that. They’re normal folks. I think professionals are probably just busy- at their profession. They probably take a look at the forums when they have time. I have no doubt that people can post rude or bull-headed things on occasion, but I think we’d be thinking far too highly of ourselves to assume that just because big name blenders aren’t posting daily that we somehow hurt their feelings and ran them off. It’s perhaps a bit egocentric if you think about it.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
Greg Pease, in my opinion, is a talented man with class and a gift for writing. I don’t know about “celebrity status” but I would be honored to have a friend like him just based on his character.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
There are some very funny people on this forum. “Everybody funny, now you funny too”. - one whiskey, one scotch and one beer

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I personally really like when people in the industry post on here, like when Jeremy Reeves was posting recently, it is usually very informative and entertaining. As someone who enjoys home blending on a completely amateur level, I am always interested to hear anything from pro blenders.

I meant no disrespect to anyone in my earlier post, especially Mr. Pease, just stating my observations.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I think we're forgetting Condorlover who posts here all the time and does not appear to get hurt feelings even if you trash Condor.

More importantly though where are the heads of state? That's what I'm after. Greg Pease, is off making wine somewhere--send him a nice Christmas card if you like. We need to step up our game. Where's Justin Trudeau? Where's Boris Johnson? Even AOC... not a head of state, but okay. Let's get on this! Chop Chop!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Heads of state can lose their heads, as in saying something stupid, or, as in the French Revolution, their actual heads in the guillotine's "chop chop" (they don't say who got the heads). Thus they will never smoke a pipe, and are, like Pease, reduced to getting Christmas cards only.

But with a slight phonetic shift, "chop chop" becomes "chomp chomp," and who is better suited for this duty than your garden variety zombie no better immortalized than in George Romero's opening sequence of "Night of the Living Dead." In the backdrop to two earnest children who have driven hours to reach their father's gravesite is a man in the distance seen staggering. They biicker only to find in the intervening moments that the man has staggered upon them, and, as a prelude to devouring them, embodies his version of "chomp chomp."

Don't send any of them a Christmas card as it surely won't be happily received or read.

• Haha
Reactions: canucklehead
Status
Not open for further replies.