PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2015
Minnesota,
New pipe day!! Coool! I am sitting here smoking the 1st 1/2 bowl in my new new Peterson Kinsale xl 12, rusticated, and I start to remember something about Peterson pipes breaking in funny. After looking it up I see they are dip stained. I am smoking Skiff mix in it and I have to say it tastes fine. Really, It is smoking well So far. I have a little gurgle maybe twice for bowl, but I packed it a bit loose.
Anyway, I am looking in the bowl now, and it is black and I think, well maybe it is pre-carbonized or something.
But wait, I am drinking bourbon. So I finish my glass and go get a fresh glass and finish that then get another glass and a q-tip, but I lost the q-tip, so I go get the box of q-tips and I dip one of the q-tip in the bourbon and swab the inside of the bowl and it comes out black. now I need to relight but I am not sure if my pipe is going to go up in flames since I have just swabbed it with 90 proof whiskey. I am asking myself, "is worth the risk", I mean the Skiff Mix is tasting pretty good, but, you know, I don't want to become a smoking statistic...
Sorry, I digress.
So, After I finish the pipe, sure enough, the black has rubbed off and I can see a spot of red, so I guess it is stain.
What do you Think?

dude

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2015
Minnesota,
Sorry, they should have an "Next Morning edit post" button for me. What I meant by the above post was I am not going to worry about the stain and just smoke it for awhile.
Thanks

dude

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2015
Minnesota,
This pipe is killing me. Anything I smoke in it immediately give me tongue bite. I mean it is unreal; the first little puff it starts. I have smoked maybe 10 bowls in it and I dread smoking the next. But, It was kind of spendy (by my standards) so I will smoke another tomorrow.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
That rug really tied the room together...
+1 on New Petes breaking in funny. It's taken 20 bowls for my Aran to smoke decent and have one or two relights and have better taste, not to mention a lengthier smoke.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Rinse the chamber with very hot water, then swab it out with a paper towel. Let dry 24 hours. Maybe dry the baccy down a bit.
Good luck!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just smoked my first two bowls in a new Dr. Grabow, with no problems or complaints. My six Petes never gave me any problems, but I bought them a few years ago. I hope Peterson is hearing back on these problems. I think they must be scaring off their customers. A new pipe should smoke like a new pipe, no issues.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Take a break and let your tongue heal. I remember when I started pipe smoking some blends would bite me from over puffing, and I wouldn't bother smoking again for a few days as it wouldn't be pleasant. It's your tongue telling you to take a break. As for the pipe I have one pete and it was dip stained, I just smoked it as it was breaking it in but if I were to do it again I would do a salt and alcohol or cotton ball treatment at first to remove it. You can definitely taste it sometimes before it's broken in.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Don't do anything to the pipe except smoke it...remember your breaking in a new pipe...so after you smoke, give it 3-4 days to rest and smoke that baby again

Aug 14, 2012
If it tastes good to you leave it alone. If you do decide to remove stain use a high proof drinking beverage, like 141 rum. 110 proof chartreuse and 117 proof Navy gin are good too. Rubbing alcohol will throw the taste off for a while.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
I recently broke in an SH Original - the inside was red, just as the outside. The only thing I did was smoke slowly and clean at night. I also let it rest a few days in between smokes.
After 5-6 bowls, the inside was pretty much black, with no signs of red. And the more I smoke it, the better it tastes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.