PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ukparagolfer

Lurker
May 1, 2018
UK
I heard somewhere that if you use filters or keystone's in your pipe it can help cool it down and help to stop tongue bite or a burnt roof of mouth.

What are your opinions?

Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I heard somewhere that if you use filters or keystone's in your pipe it can help cool it down and help to stop tongue bite or a burnt roof of mouth.

What are your opinions?
Filters, keystones, meerschaum chips, akadama, and the like can take moisture from the smoke and provide a drier smoke that won't boil you're mouth. That being said, the same thing can be achieved with dryer tobacco and slower smoking.

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
+1 to above, with the added note that filters - especially carbon - tame the pH of smoke from high sugar blends.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Filters, keystones, meerschaum chips, akadama, and the like can take moisture from the smoke and provide a drier smoke that won't boil you're mouth. That being said, the same thing can be achieved with dryer tobacco and slower smoking.
12 of the 15 pipes I own use filters (balsa is what I use) and I agree with @chasingembers on everything he said with one slight exception; when it comes to heavily topped aromatics (which I don't smoke anymore), the bite is many times there even if you smoke slowly, and to me anyway, that is where a filter is making a huge difference.

I will say one other thing as well. I mostly only smoke non-aromatics with the exception of one that has only light topping. That said, after only a few bowls my balsa filter is usually black. To me this means that it is picking up some of the tar that would otherwise go in your mouth. How much? I don't know, but it must be picking up quite a bit. Health matters aside, taking some of that tar out of the smoke, to me anyway, does promote a purer tobacco taste. When I smoke out of my non-filter pipes, it does seem like there is slightly less of a tobacco flavor than in my filtered pipes, especially with the second half of the bowl, if that makes any sense.

As chasingembers mentions, it does remove the moisture that can steam your tongue... and it does somewhat cool the smoke, but the big trade off is that it removes some of the flavor also. I keep some Savinelli balsa filters on hand for a few lat bombs that I occasionally enjoy in the winter. But, more often than not, I forget about them. They are a hassle and nasty to remove, which is a huge reason most men forgo them in disgust.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
:LOL:

That's a fountain of conversation man, that's a geyser. Whoa daddy, stand back...
Lmao! I felt it was all that needed to be said! Sure, I could have waxed poetic about gimmicks and gadgets like filters and stingers and so on. I could have shared my personal experiences that have led me to determine the uselessness of such, and how they only complicate an already involved process, or how certain inserts or filters (I'm looking at you, Savinelli!) Only serve to clog up and cause difficulties at the most inconvenient times, like when driving for instance, but what's the point? Others will extol their virtues.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Lmao! I felt it was all that needed to be said! Sure, I could have waxed poetic about gimmicks and gadgets like filters and stingers and so on. I could have shared my personal experiences that have led me to determine the uselessness of such, and how they only complicate an already involved process, or how certain inserts or filters (I'm looking at you, Savinelli!) Only serve to clog up and cause difficulties at the most inconvenient times, like when driving for instance, but what's the point? Others will extol their virtues.
rotf Pipes are an "involved process"? They "clog up"? What, do you leave them in there for a few days? rotf Been using them for years, doesn't complicate the simple process of smoking a pipe to me and have never had one clog up.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
rotf Pipes are an "involved process"? They "clog up"? What, do you leave them in there for a few days? rotf Been using them for years, doesn't complicate the simple process of smoking a pipe to me and have never had one clog up.
Of course pipes are an involved process, when compared to other types of tobacco consumption. There is prepping the tobacco, packing the bowl, false light, true light, conscientious tamping, careful cadence, dumping the bowl after, wiping the bowl, running a cleaner or two, stem care, etc.
I have had several filters clog on me, especially the balsa inserts. Every time while driving or involved in an activity where I couldn't take the time to fix the problem, which ended with me having to just put the pipe down and miss out on enjoying a pipe. No thank you. THIS is why I simply answered "No" initially, lol. Everyone has their own preferences and opinions. I respect them all, but make mine base on my own experience.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Of course pipes are an involved process, when compared to other types of tobacco consumption. There is prepping the tobacco, packing the bowl, false light, true light, conscientious tamping, careful cadence, dumping the bowl after, wiping the bowl, running a cleaner or two, stem care, etc.
I have had several filters clog on me, especially the balsa inserts. Every time while driving or involved in an activity where I couldn't take the time to fix the problem, which ended with me having to just put the pipe down and miss out on enjoying a pipe. No thank you. THIS is why I simply answered "No" initially, lol. Everyone has their own preferences and opinions. I respect them all, but make mine base on my own experience.
I'll buy that, but next time, simply take the filter out and smoke it without one until you get somewhere where you can pop another one in...no need to put the pipe down.

Reactions: tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I could have, but filter pipes are designed to use the filter. The airway would be too open unless I wanted to fiddle with an adapter. I don't see any advantages to having a filter, so I don't buy filter pipes.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I could have, but filter pipes are designed to use the filter. The airway would be too open unless I wanted to fiddle with an adapter. I don't see any advantages to having a filter, so I don't buy filter pipes.
To some degree, yes, but remember, the draught hole is normal size even though the mortise and tenon are larger. Sometimes when my filter gets soggy (like when I'm fishing) I'll take it out and there is a small difference, but not much of one. As you say, to each his/her own, though. :)

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Yes and No. Proper loading, Proper Tamping, Proper cadence and preparation of the Your tobacco cool the smoke.

But until you gain experience, a filter can save you from the moisture you are creating.

That gurgling sound is moisture which enters your mouth as steam. The lining of he roof of your mouth is delicate and you can irritate minor salivary glands which take weeks of laying off of the hobby to heal. Tongue bite is burn where an overly moist pipe touches the tongue.

Use a filter if your pipe accepts one, until you no longer need one. You may opt to always use one or not, but until that day arrives, a filter will absorb the extra moisture.

My favorite pipe is non filtered and I like to run a pipe cleaner in it at least twice during a 30 to 45 minutes smoke. It accomplishes the same thing as a filter, it removes the condensation (moisture).

Also, I’m a Burley smoker. Burley has less sugar. Sugary, heavily cased / topped tobacco is often a steamy, wet affair and more likely to cause excessive moisture.

Take it slow. The only time you should draw on a pipe is when lighting. And be especially careful to be gentle at this time because you are drawing a flame ?. That’s a high temperature and it’s during over zealous and frequent lighting that your likely causing yourself trauma. Hope this helps!

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I agree. My Grabow’s 6mm filter, when removed after I smoke is white and dry, and only the tips are a golden color. I scissor those off and use that filter again on a later bowl.

There have been times I’ve removed a filter mid-smoke and felt no dissernable difference in draw. That’s because I sip and generally let the tobacco come to me, resulting in a dry, cool smoke.

Important note: Proper tamping sets the draw to your liking, regardless of the diameter of the shank. So opting to smoke a “filtered” pipe filterless is fine, later when you have the experience to smoke a dry pipe.

Chasing flavors by puffing is counterintuitive. Over heated tobacco is flavorless, creates excessive moisture and can cause you injury. It should be a smoulder on the edge of going out. That’s a flavorful smoke.

Mr.Pink

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2020
Chicago IL
The combustion of tobacco produces heat and moisture, i.e. the opposite of a cool, dry smoke is an unpleasant hot and “wet” smoke. Are you drying the tabacco? Which Blend is biting you? Sipping or Puffing away?