Do Cigar, Pipe, and Cigarette Tobacco Taste Different?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
It’s like anything, depends on where it’s grown, how it’s produced and manufactured and what the company/blender is trying to accomplish.

This is why I was asking on something more specific and tangible.

If I had to guess, you’re thinking about this only from one side. I was thinking about the history of all these, from around the world.
I still smoke good hand rolled cigars.

I can tell a Nicaraguan from an Honduran and a Dominican, or at least I think I can.

Not any cigars, taste remotely like cigarettes or pipe tobacco.

Even the cheap Swisher Sweets or Muriel Magnums and Dutch Master Presidents I buy taste like good cheap cigars.

It has to be a different kind of tobacco, or else fermented or cured differently,

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Are familiar with Vincent Manil?

He grows Semois and makes pipe tobacco and cigars from, all very cigar like.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’ve smoked French cigarettes, and my favorite was Picayune “Pride of New Orleans” back in the day.

If I had to duplicate then I’d roll up some Five Brothers. Strong hard to inhale cigarette tasting cigarettes have little market in a nation used to Marlboro Reds and Camels and Luckies.

I’ve smoked cigar butts, too, and they tasted like a cigar smoked in a pipe.

Over forty years ago I’d occasionally buy a package of cigar clippings. There’s a reason there’s no market for them today. They tasted like cigars in a pipe.:)

The different cigar, cigarette and pipe tobacco tastes are deliberate.

With cigarettes and pipe tobacco the manufactures use not only different plants but a host of different flavorings.

Not so with hand rolled luxury cigars.

How do they do that?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I mean if you smoke the cheapest machine rolled cigar ever sold it will taste something less but similar to a Cuban hand rolled cigar. It will never taste like any cigarette, nor any pipe.

There is a cigar taste.

There is a commercial cigarette taste

And there are many varieties of pipe tobacco but they all have a certain “pipey” taste

Pipes and cigarettes are sometimes closer in taste.

But a cigar tastes only, like cigar.
Wait a minute! I thought you asked a question!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Been looking for Gintanes for awhile. Used to get them at Tinderbox, but last time I checked they no longer had them. Still had Export A. But Canadian cigarettes are little rough.

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
I always thought that smoking different pipe tobaccos is like trying different blends of juice (orange, apple, prune.... etc), while smoking cigars is like trying different brands of the same kind of juice (for example different brands of OJ). The difference in cigar leaf is much more subtle. Cigarettes on the other hand just taste like cigarettes!

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I always thought that smoking different pipe tobaccos is like trying different blends of juice (orange, apple, prune.... etc), while smoking cigars is like trying different brands of the same kind of juice (for example different brands of OJ). The difference in cigar leaf is much more subtle. Cigarettes on the other hand just taste like cigarettes!

I very much like your analogy…. my own experiences would align with what you have suggested in terms of pipe tobaccos, cigars, and cigarettes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Cigars have many different tastes dependent on the tobaccos and wrappers. Cigarettes have different tastes depending on the tobaccos also and how they are processed. A Polish manufactured Malboro tastes nothing like an American made Malboro. I'm guessing to make them palatable for Europeans the tobaccos are differently processed. Also, most likely they use different tobaccos, at least regionally.

I smoke "luxury" cigarettes only which do not have chemical infused paper and the tobaccos are air dried as I understand it. American cigarettes use artificially dried, heat applied, tobaccos. At least that was what I was taught many, many years ago.

American cigarettes are manufactured with chemically infused paper which make them burn while sitting in an ashtray the smoker must light another. Luxury cigarettes will snuff themselves when left to sit.

Different brands of cigarettes have different tastes mostly due to the type and quality of tobaccos used and differences in processing is ll I can really attest to.

Two leaves from the same plant destined for a pipe blend will come to taste differently depending on processing. I've been told where on the plant the leaf was harvested from can affect flavor. So, there are too many variables
to even begin to explain the differences in cigars, cigarettes and so forth.

I didn't even mention growing conditions, soil and such of identical plants.

And, you must consider that all the info I've passed on to you might be bullshit as I have no idea how reliable my sources are/were. O can also relate that all of the above was gleaned long before there was an internet. So, there is that.
Warren, do you remember the cigarettes English Ovals> THey came in a cool box and were unfiltered. They were my favorite domestic expensive brand of smokes. I haven't seen them in years as my local b/m store carrying them.

Also if you get a chance, Cuban cigarettes were my favorites. Partagas non Filter, RyJ filters, H Upmann, Hoyo de Monterrey . I had a guy name Johnny Ortega selling me cartons for 30 bucks a carton and it was a good deal. I have no idea who would be selling them now or if they ever make it through customs like they did years ago. Never lost a shipment of cigarettes.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
If you shred or chop up a cigar and smoke it in a pipe, it tastes quite differently to the same cigar smoked as it was intended (as a cigar)

It is interesting to me that you can taste each method as different (intact cigar vs. chopped cigar). To me, I do not taste any difference. I have done this a few limited times and to ME, I could not discern a difference.

Out of curiosity, MIGHT it be in your case, that the differences you noticed….. could they have been a “ghosting” effect of whatever pipe tobacco(s) you had smoked previously in the pipe?

I do know that for ME, I do not smoke cigar butts nor chopped cigars in any of my pipes any longer….. because I do not like the “cigar ghost” that remained in my pipes when I did do this a few times.

Warren, do you remember the cigarettes English Ovals> THey came ina cool box and were infiltered. They were my favorite expensive brand of expensive smokes. I haven't seen them in year as my local b/m storred carrying them.

Also if you get a chance, Cuban cigarettes were my favorites. Partagas non Filter, RyJ filters, H Upmann, Hoyo de Monterrey . I had a guy name Johnny Ortega selling me cartons for 30 bucks a carton and it was a good deal. I have no idea who would be selling them now or if they ever make it through customs like they did years ago. Never lost a shipment of cigarettes.
With these stories... I always imagine you shopping out of people's trunks in back alleys.