48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Nicotine has no impact on what I like. But I have tried a few very heavily topped and oddly flavored aromatics and I do not understand them. Some of my favorite and most cellared blends are flavored, but a minty hot cocoa blend that cracks and pops as you light it scratches my head to the market that buys it.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Like Virginia Slims, Capris, and Eve cigarettes, they give the fairer sex something to bring them into the hobby. Oh, and Canadian Teddy bears. Let's not forget our grump Canadian friend. Oh, and kids. puffy

I'm joking of course. There are also manly men who probably have smoked Virginia Slims also. puffy
Yeah. Those guys who look at the girls and say "we come a long way, baby" with a wink.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
I'm talking about the goopy ones, not the more tobacco forward aromatics from Gawith, or the codger blends.

I've stuck back many jars of a few different blends like this... You know the kind of wet, goopy, aromatics... The kind that couldn't satisfy the nicotine cravings of a 4th grader.

Hell, you might be better off socking back bags of Bouy Gold, like our lawyer does.

Flavor is important obviously, but tobacco gets it's value from nicotine. If not, we'd be smoking lettuce or something.

I was thinking:

• Are aromatics completely useless?

• Do aromatics suck?
Close. Every except burley sucks actually.

I’ve often wondered, with all the “granny panty” references, how many that use the term freely have ever tasted granny panties🤔
The term was coined by a member we had here named Harris, but his handle was cigrsmkr. He passed away a time back. Lakelands sauces are made from the same ingredients used in those little pink soaps from the 50's-70's that grannies put in their bathrooms to make them smell better (in their minds). Harris was a weird one, so... I cannot speak to his tastes, but I use the term in tribute, but what I mean is the soaps that grannies used. The smell sickens me, and I've always been perplexed at guys who like them. But, to each their own.

Strange Quark

Lurker
Nov 9, 2023
Pretty much, they suck. The industry went through that period in the 90s of ingredient restrictions that rendered aromatic tobacco far less flavorful. Even some premium blends severely suffered like Gold Block. But the larger problem with these goopy aromatics I think has to do with the way they are processed. They are so heavily cased and then pressed to exude excess moisture that it leaches all the essence of the leaf and most of the nicotine out leaving a "dead" cellulose substrate with its essence replaced by flavorings. In a sense this kind of aromatic pipe tobacco isn't that far from vaping. On the other hand, some of the most common tobacco types in their basic form have extremely high nicotine content that would not be appealing to the common pipe smoker. Green River leaf used to make black cavendish has a natural nicotine content in the 6 to 7% range. It's thick and coarse and can take a lot of processing and soak up casing. In my experiments with whole leaf this processing works fine with burley but destroys the qualities of flue cured.

• Angry
Reactions: The Libertine
Jun 9, 2018
England
I love a good aro. Some of the Peterson special editions, Gawith twists (aniseed, cherry, rum), their special editions and bourbon whiskey flake, Spirit of Scotland and Mahogany. Wouldn't call any of them gloopy, though. The only gloopy tobacco i've bought was Kohlhase No. 66 and I enjoyed it. Just needed to be dried out.

I find aromatics are a good change of pace now and again.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I'm talking about the goopy ones, not the more tobacco forward aromatics from Gawith, or the codger blends.

I've stuck back many jars of a few different blends like this... You know the kind of wet, goopy, aromatics... The kind that couldn't satisfy the nicotine cravings of a 4th grader.

Hell, you might be better off socking back bags of Bouy Gold, like our lawyer does.

Flavor is important obviously, but tobacco gets it's value from nicotine. If not, we'd be smoking lettuce or something.

I was thinking:

• Are aromatics completely useless?

• Do aromatics suck?
My first thought!
IMG_4553.jpeg