PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I also don't agree with the "higher the high end, the lesser the quality" assessment. But I would also say that price doesn't always equate to an equal increase in quality. A $3000 pipe won't necessarily smoke 100 times better than a $30 pipe. Besides, it's only 25% equipment, but 75% technique.

No, not dead, but if so as a rising zombie, I'd still be interested in talking pipes. and would most agree with Jesse's statement as above. I still make the rounds everyday at smokingpipes and occasionally Marty Pulvers' site. Gives me something to admire and disagree with or fight about.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Folks fixate on price because we'd all like to have the most primo luxurious high end item imaginable. Which is extremely nice, but not necessary. I have north of eighty pipes, but if I had twenty or a dozen, even of the less expensive ones, I'd do just fine. The buzz of owning high end is pleasurable. But someone with ten solid factory pipes in the lower price range can have first rate smoking. If you have the discretionary spending to go high end, good, but if not, don't worry about it.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Right now I'm really digging lesser known artisans but also pick up the odd estate pipe too. Just got a wonderful Axmacher estate for $245 from Marty Pulver. Also got new pipes from Doug Finlay (member here) and Alexander Hasty for not much more and a pipe from Sergey Rusak (member here) for slightly less. Also picked up a Sabina Santos estate pipe for about the same.

This is all Dunhill, Castello, etc price range so you don't need to spend $1k plus. Ask around. If people are happy with a particular carver even though they don't have the name recognition they're worth taking a chance on, IMO. Or look for estates if you think you need the name but can't or don't want to spend as much.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Undead is good, too, but perhaps not for long as I'm nowhere near as fast a runner as that guy in the opening sequence of "28 Weeks Later."

Reactions: supperthyme
Status
Not open for further replies.