PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good point Embers makes. I find my pipes improve as I learn to smoke the individual ones. Some of my low-end pipes "become" wonderful as I become more proficient with them. My higher priced pipes also improve with use. That's likely how some estate pipes get so bedraggled with use.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'd take the Chevy.
I've had cobs through high end pieces. My commissioned pipes are still in my collection, the Dunhills were downgraded to bonsai containers before being trashed, and the cobs have been around for years. I'm starting to notice the higher the high end, the lesser the quality. Some things are better looked at than used.

sopsac

Lurker
Aug 8, 2018
At the high end, the pipe market seems to function like an art market. Given the prices and depreciation that comes from even limited use, these are collected rather than smoked for the most part. My understanding is that those prices were established when the Chinese entered the market several years ago. I've heard that some of those Chinese collectors have moved on. Prices have stayed the same, but those pipes are not moving the way they did a few years ago.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I've had cobs through high end pieces. My commissioned pipes are still in my collection, the Dunhills were downgraded to bonsai containers before being trashed, and the cobs have been around for years. I'm starting to notice the higher the high end, the lesser the quality. Some things are better looked at than used.
What nonsense.
It looks like the Social Media mindset is now causing individuals to adopt the Sensational!!! Shocking!!! Outrageous!!! Terrifying!!! clickbait tabloid approach to making personal statements.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I'd take the Chevy.
I'd take the rolls, sell it, buy a chevy and invest the rest in dunhill pipes. Just yankin yer chain, I don't (and likely won't) own any dunhills. I do have an Ashton and a Castello though, and I gotta say, they are fine smokers. Worth the $100 more I paid for them over a good savinelli?........probably not, but I had to know....

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I never see higher-end names being sold at a sale price,and if they are, the price drop would be something like 5 to 10% tops
Maybe not high end names, but there are some high end pipes by good makers out there at significant discounts. Picked up some higher end Savs (a 920 KS new art and 315KS spigot sterling) for 50-75% below retail recently. Usually $200-$400 pipes. Those deals are out there.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
@georged, I agree with you. Lot’s of personal folly being spewed on this site. Sorry, just my opinion.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So having three pipes from a company that is highly touted for quality that won't pass a pipe cleaner is personal folly?

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
No it’s strictly opinion. What I comment on is my opinion and mine alone. But being so I am allowed to disagree and I do so with your comments. Your experiences are different than mine and that’s why we have different opinions. A pipe that you have that does not pass a cleaner is different than a pipe that I have that passes clearer. You like Bruce Weaver pipes and that’s ok. I may choose to like some other manufacturers pipes. Doesn’t make one better than the other, just makes us different. But to make a statement that higher end pipes are lesser quality is a blanket statement that simply is not true. Maybe so for certain manufacturers now adays but it should not be used as a blanket statement. It’s no secret that you’re not a fan of Dunhill but that doesn’t mean there aren’t great Dunhill's on the market where-ever they may be made. Sorry, our opinions do not agree on many levels and I just had to put it out there.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When the start out the buy less valuable pieces and then start buying more expensive pieces of art especially if the painter is dead. Have you checked the price of a Rembrandt or Van Gogh lately?
Rembrandt is DEAD? When the hell did THAT happen!!??
Keep in mind that when you're paying that premium for a high grade pipe you're not just paying for the pipe but for all of the duds that didn't measure up along the way and wound up in the furnace. A flawless smooth with outstanding grain is much rarer than pipes with a pit or two, or lesser graining.
I also don't agree with the "higher the high end, the lesser the quality" assessment. But I would also say that price doesn't always equate to an equal increase in quality. A $3000 pipe won't necessarily smoke 100 times better than a $30 pipe. Besides, it's only 25% equipment, but 75% technique.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I miss saltedplug
RIP in peace, Salt.
As with maybe any other good, you get diminishing marginal returns to the cost of a pipe. I'm absolutely positive the average Castello is better (however you want to measure that) than the average Rossi. But the increase in quality is not linear. On average, you'll get a lot of extra functionality going from a $10 pipe to a $200 pipe. But the differences between a $500 pipe and a $700 pipe are extremely fine, and maybe not even noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.