PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
BROBS got me thinking. When you have a large collection, what do you use to display that many pipes? I’m in the 50’s, but only have pipe racks for 12. No point in having things you appreciate if you can’t at least look at them, or show them off...

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
If pipe smoking is in any way a trigger for your user name... you might want to just keep your showy best 12 on display and the rest in socks in drawers. Maybe even the 12 as well. Most I keep in large flat easy access Rubbermaid containers lined those blue shop paper towels. But I have zero pipes over $150

Reactions: alexnc and BROBS

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
@tfdickson father did it right:

Wow... I am somehow doubting I could talk the wife into putting that in the front room?. But that is really cool. Thanks for showing that, ideas....

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I don’t have anything fancy. I have this little 3-tier black wire shelf. The bottom two tiers hold my tobacco containers, and the top tier has a couple 5-pipe black leather couch stands from P&C, a single 2-pipe black leather couch stand with a middle compartment that holds my lighter and pipe tool, and a bunch of individual black leather pipe couches. I have 24 pipes on display, and a bit over a dozen stored away in their socks since they weren’t getting any use.

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
If pipe smoking is in any way a trigger for your user name... you might want to just keep your showy best 12 on display and the rest in socks in drawers. Maybe even the 12 as well. Most I keep in large flat easy access Rubbermaid containers lined those blue shop paper towels. But I have zero pipes over $150
Actually, she’s a French-German accountant who was raised by a man who ran marathons in $15 Walmart sneakers. I have more drawers on my toolbox than she has shoes?. As long as I remodel the house, or repaint whenever she wants, she stops at rolling her eyes at me. As long as I stay within my allowance limits. 90% of my pipes are refurbished estates, so more sweat equity than dollars down.
The sock idea isn’t bad though, do you ever see any marking in waxed finishes during times of high humidity?
Thanks!

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
I don’t have anything fancy. I have this little 3-tier black wire shelf. The bottom two tiers hold my tobacco containers, and the top tier has a couple 5-pipe black leather couch stands from P&C, a single 2-pipe black leather couch stand with a middle compartment that holds my lighter and pipe tool, and a bunch of individual black leather pipe couches. I have 24 pipes on display, and a bit over a dozen stored away in their socks since they weren’t getting any use.
Interesting, I had never heard of pipe couches before. They kind I’ve look like tiny bean bags. Are they form-able or rigid with leather covering?
Thanks

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Interesting, I had never heard of pipe couches before. They kind I’ve look like tiny bean bags. Are they form-able or rigid with leather covering?
Thanks

They’re sort of just hollow, loose, soft leather folded into a couch shape and attached to a rigid bottom piece. They’re not beanbaggy or pillowy. They work fine for everything except my Briarworks C151XLs, which are skinnier than my other pipes and don’t quite nestle as comfortably in the couch stands as a result.

For what you get, the prices seem pretty obnoxious. I’m neutral on the value proposition personally, and settled on them primarily because I didn’t want a huge wooden stand until after we move.

Reactions: BROBS and Wifesbain

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
<<portion snipped...>>
The sock idea isn’t bad though, do you ever see any marking in waxed finishes during times of high humidity?
Thanks!
No. But the containers are far from air tight so being in an AC controlled environment including air purifier I wouldn't expect that problem. But disclaimer is most of these pipes have been with me less than a year. Finally, just Wow to the display thread pointed out by @alaskanpiper very nice.

Reactions: BROBS

Wifesbain

Might Stick Around
Jul 28, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
No. But the containers are far from air tight so being in an AC controlled environment including air purifier I wouldn't expect that problem. But disclaimer is most of these pipes have been with me less than a year. Finally, just Wow to the display thread pointed out by @alaskanpiper very nice.
Wow is correct. The wife and I are currently repainting the bathroom, and she is replacing my tall sail ship paintings. I staged a very subtle protest, and she reminded my that the deal is I get to do whatever I want in the basement, and though a little of me will be reflected in the common living spaces... those choices are hers.

I don’t think I will be asking for pipe display wall space.

I know she loves me, but I’m not sure she always respects me... or my sense of style. There’s just no justice.

Reactions: BROBS

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have a 36 count Savinelli rack made of Burl wood and has tinted glass doors with 3 holes drilled on each side to let the pipes breath. If I could buy another I would bu they stopped making them over 15 years ago. It dosn't hold my largest pipes and I have way more than 36. I do put me best pipes in it.

I also have a 12 count stadr that sits on top of the Sav. I recently picked up a 15 count rack that has a glass door and it looks ok. I also just picked up an old Brebbia 18 count wrack that works ok. I have to be careful as my bigger pipes are on that. So that takes care of 81 pipes, I still use 3 of the round 6 count racks for the rest of my pipes. I need to move some out but I am not sure this is a good time to be trying to sell decent estate pipes.

Reactions: Wifesbain

jamesc

Lurker
Jun 15, 2015
I'm still in my tiny bachelor pad so all 10 or so pipes I have are on a little shelf, will expand the collection to a display cabinet once I settle down

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
My wife bought a primative cabinet awhile back and she gave the top to me for my pipes in the living room. But I find that i keep 5 or 6 on the table beside my chair with my ashtray and a few jars of my go to tobacco's