PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
I just received an Escudo tin in a trade with a member on here and was told it has about 6 years age on it which blew me away! I decided to see if there is a datestamp on these tins and came across this guide: http://tobaccocellar.com/blog/2011/01/escudo-tin-date-codes.html
The problem is that the number sequence on this tin starts with 8 (as seen below) and there is no way it is from 1980 :P
345obqa.jpg

Numbers to the left of the barcode are: 8007010404
I'm not so much going crazy trying to figure out the age, though it would be cool to know, rather I think it's interesting that the numbering on my tin goes against the numbering everyone uses to date their tins. Also, it is missing that sequence of 4 numbers on the right and is a Lane imported tin so it has gotta have some age. Maybe we can figure this mystery out together and hash it out for the next time someone comes across a tin like this.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Maybe you need to read it as (80) 07/01/04, i.e., 2007, April, 1st? That would fit the description of 6 years of age ... almost ... ;-) Does it have the old AC Peterson logo on the front? Like this:
escudoom.jpg

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Yeah. no way this is particularly old. Made in the EU is a pretty obvious tip off that this tin is at most a few years old. Nonetheless it will still be a good smoke.

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
@Hfearly, yep it has the same front sticker and I wish thinking of reading the date that way as well.
@Kcghost, why not? EU has been around much longer than a few years. Or do you mean only the newer tins have "Made in the EU" printed on them?

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
@Kasbah: if the front looks the same (no Scandinavian Tobacco Group dragon thing) than it's at least 2005 or older.

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
I can tell you with certainty that this tin was manufactured in 2012. This is due to the fact that Lane is listed as the distributor, and we didn't start distributing until this past April. As far as the date codes, we don't publish the code system, but there are more than just dates in that number. There's a product code, manufacturing machine number, etc. the dates themselves are by week and day of the year vs a calendar date.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Hi Leonard,
I don't understand why Lane Ltd. wouldn't want to publish how to read a date code out of the code system? I can see why you would want to keep the specifics about Product Codes, Manufacturing Numbers, Machines, etc. a trade secret, but letting customers know from when a certain tin is dated can't harm now, can it? Would help us folks tremendously down the road to find the vintages we like. Just sayin' ;-)

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
I hear you. Pretty standard industry practice for whatever reason.

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
Leonard, why would it say A&C Peterson and not have the dragon Scandanavian logo? I also heard Lane distributed Escudo in the past.

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
You know, now that you mention it, you are probably right. Let me do some more checking...

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
Well that's more like it :) Thanks for the import, Leonard! Any clue on if Escudo will finally be available in sizes larger than 50g? Might as well ask while I have you here, lol.

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
Roth: I don't have a good answer unfortunately. Kasbah: no plans for a larger size at this time.

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
Well, you are welcome to pass on the request for a larger size (bulk?) and date stamp :) Thanks for the help!

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Escudo is delicious. I have a tin which is dated to my birth date and every year on my birthday, I smoke a coin :) If only they had made 8oz tins back then! It would last me a lifetime!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, if you take the same formula and apply it to the Dunhill, what do you come up with. They both have the same amount of numbers, so could it be they use the same system?

Status
Not open for further replies.