PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Disclaimer: I buy a lot of estate pipes

A lot of the estate pipes I buy cost less than USD$50, and a few more than USD$300 (which I categorise as expensive, being an estate)
The pipes arrive in all conditions - from pristine condition to having 50years of cake in the bowl and a mortise and stem totally gummed up with tar and unmentionables.

When a pipe costs less than $50, I don't expect to receive a "professionally" cleaned specimen, and I'm prepared to spend some hours getting it up to smoking standard. I've received quite a few "low cost" pipes where the time and effort spent on cleaning them must have worked out more than what I paid for them.

What upsets me is getting a pipe that I've paid north of $300 and receiving a pipe that looks great on the outside, but with an interior (bowl, mortise and stem) looking and smelling like a sewer. Obviously well-loved and utilised pipes that have NEVER seen a pipe-cleaner in their previous life. Worse, when I mentioned this in my feedback, the vendor(2 pipes from the same vendor) had the temerity to say he has sold X000 pipes and NEVER had a negative comment. He won't be getting further sales with me.

I wonder what are your experiences with estates.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
When I buy an estate I assume the worst for internals. All estates, whether they are “ready to smoke” get a good cleaning. I’m not a germaphobe, but there are some weirdos out there that smoke Ennerdale and other “grandma’s panties” blends that need to be exorcised.

If the exterior is as advertised and the pipe is packed appropriately in a box, the seller gets a high rating.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Anytime I buy an estate it gets at least a cursory cleaning with everclear, even from SPC. If I buy an estate off of eBay I just assume it’s going to need the full monty, no matter the cost, cleaner is always better though. The only time I get angry is when a pipe arrives and it’s not in the condition as advertised, if the seller was hiding damage in the pics, etc..

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Worse, when I mentioned this in my feedback, the vendor(2 pipes from the same vendor) had the temerity to say he has sold X000 pipes and NEVER had a negative comment. He won't be getting further sales with me.

I wonder what are your experiences with estates.
That’s a poor response from the vendor. If he/she is even remotely interested in repeat business it would have cost nothing to say, “I’m really sorry to hear that. Thanks for your feedback. I’ll make sure I double check better in the future.”

When I buy estates from eBay, I assume the worst and am frequently surprised by the condition of the pipes I buy when they arrive (for the good).

I’ve had pipes arrive with undisclosed damag, like cracked bowls and whatnot. In these instances I resolve the issue via eBay.

Like so many others, always clean up any estate pipe I buy to my satisfaction on arrival.

99% iso is my friend.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Two points that grind my tender gears in this vein:

1. A seller actively hides or misleads on condition of the pipe. This is a a biggie.

2. An estate seller makes a big ol' deal about their 10 step, 100 point, 7 herbs and spices full-tilt cleaning process and the first pipe cleaner you put down the stem comes out as black and tar-laden as midnight. I'm not talking about taking an alcohol retort to it and quibbling about "deep clean"...just a flat dirty pipe that had nothing done than run a cloth over the rim and a dry pipe cleaner down it before sending along. This is no where near as serious as misrepresenting physical condition, but don't talk up some value-add/time-save process to your sales when you aren't doing bunk. I've seen this a lot over the last year, even from sellers I really dig otherwise. Again, this is in the "annoyance" category and not something I blow up with the seller on.

Now, if an estate seller does not make any specific claims as to a high-grade clean job.......a buyer should be expecting to have to put some sanitary elbow grease into the deal as par for the course.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
All the above points taken.

My gripe was the equivalent to buying an expensive used car eg a Merc, and finding the “trusted 5 star” dealer had detailed the exterior so it looks sparkling, but hadn’t bothered to change the oil or filters, let alone check the brakes.

If I was buying a beat-up Toyota at a giveaway price, then my expectations would be lowered accordingly.

Of course in reality, IF I was on the market (not too likely)for a Merc, I would bring along a friend who knows something about cars - I’m totally at a loss with anything mechanical (my wife looks after our lawn-mower !)

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
All the above points taken.

My gripe was the equivalent to buying an expensive used car eg a Merc, and finding the “trusted 5 star” dealer had detailed the exterior so it looks sparkling, but hadn’t bothered to change the oil or filters, let alone check the brakes.

If I was buying a beat-up Toyota at a giveaway price, then my expectations would be lowered accordingly.

Of course in reality, IF I was on the market (not too likely)for a Merc, I would bring along a friend who knows something about cars - I’m totally at a loss with anything mechanical (my wife looks after our lawn-mower !)

I hear you, mate.

At this point, as long as they aren’t photoshopping out fills or labelling every pipe as “straight grain” I am unlikely to take umbrage.

But I totally get the frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.