PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
jp, lol.

I would never let mylar touch my bulk tobacco. No one has a clue to whether it adds some kind of nasty flavor 10 years down the road, or maybe it only takes 5 years. I wouldn't let my bulks touch plastic bags that are heat-sealed. What if in 8 years you find moldy tobacco? Does anyone really know if it promotes mold spores?

I think anyone who uses it is nuts but that is just my opinion.
I will keep my tobacco safe in their tins and in glass jars and a few large jars that have silicone gaskets that never deteriorate. The gaskets are the only weak spot with glass jars.

The reason Mylar might be a good choice is that it does not impart any flavor or odor. It has been used by the military, preppers, bakers, since the '60s for commercial food storage. As liners to bags of food and sensitive chemicals, etc. I have no idea whether it is better than jars with proper seals but you can get mold in jars much more easily than vacuum-sealed bags. There is far more chance of improper sealing with jars unless everyone invests in silicone gaskets for their jars....if that is possible. The issue with mylar, that I can see, is the fact that unless you use a thicker mil you risk it being easily punctured. Then again, if you are monitoring your cellar, you can tell if a bag has lost vacuum.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
The reason Mylar might be a good choice is that it does not impart any flavor or odor. It has been used by the military, preppers, bakers, since the '60s for commercial food storage. As liners to bags of food and sensitive chemicals, etc. I have no idea whether it is better than jars with proper seals but you can get mold in jars much more easily than vacuum-sealed bags. There is far more chance of improper sealing with jars unless everyone invests in silicone gaskets for their jars....if that is possible. The issue with mylar, that I can see, is the fact that unless you use a thicker mil you risk it being easily punctured. Then again, if you are monitoring your cellar, you can tell if a bag has lost vacuum.
Yes but all those food still have an expiration date of so many years. 5 max maybe?

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Yes but all those food still have an expiration date of so many years. 5 max maybe?

It depends. Some grains with no moisture last over 20. The little oxygen left in a mylar bag properly vacuumed is going to be less than in a jar with our standard storage methods. Tobacco ages as the storage container goes anaerobic. Hence the reason that swollen tins are mostly a good sign of outgassing from anaerobic bacteria responsible for the aging process. But, as you say, there is an "expiration" date on tobacco that beyond which the leaf starts to deteriorate or at best, does not continue to ferment. I do not think it would be any different than the time associated with a jar as storage.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It depends. Some grains with no moisture last over 20. The little oxygen left in a mylar bag properly vacuumed is going to be less than in a jar with our standard storage methods. Tobacco ages as the storage container goes anaerobic. Hence the reason that swollen tins are mostly a good sign of outgassing from anaerobic bacteria responsible for the aging process. But, as you say, there is an "expiration" date on tobacco that beyond which the leaf starts to deteriorate or at best, does not continue to ferment. I do not think it would be any different than the time associated with a jar as storage.
What I’m saying is at what point does the Mylar become unstable and leach chemicals?

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
What I’m saying is at what point does the Mylar become unstable and leach chemicals?

Ah. Mylar is mostly aluminum and plastic. Common recommendations is to check your bags every 10 years. They will outlast any organic material sealed within them. Most plastic will take 1000s of years to break down. Mylar is thought to last longer. So I do not think if properly stored, that you will outlive your mylar stored tobacco.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Still will never go that route. I’ll stick to jars, personally. ?

some Mylar is also coated internally with other chemicals to help it heat seal. Don’t trust it IMo.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
See, Brobs got his very technical opinion as compared to my guy feelings about the stuff. Between the two of us, people should be very vary of long term aging bulks in mylar.

Well done Brobs.
You still never answered why your pipe is pictured with a briar buttplug so I’m going to ask here. What is it?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Now if you’re a Mormon preparing for the end of the world and hoarding rice.. go with Mylar.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I would prefer to stay in jars. But we have moved 4x in 6 years and my cellar is just getting larger. I do not know what the jars weigh but I am well north of 100 pounds of tobacco. Mostly in pint jars. It is such a damn large mass to move around and store. If we knew we were staying here, I would not change some of the longer storage Virginia's to mylar. How is it different than leaving tins unopened?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I would prefer to stay in jars. But we have moved 4x in 6 years and my cellar is just getting larger. I do not know what the jars weigh but I am well north of 100 pounds of tobacco. Mostly in pint jars. It is such a damn large mass to move around and store. If we knew we were staying here, I would not change some of the longer storage Virginia's to mylar.
Totally understand. Jars are very cumbersome but it’s just about finding space for them. We don’t plant to move anytime soon and if we did, I’d just put the jars in totes and move them.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You still never answered why your pipe is pictured with a briar buttplug so I’m going to ask here. What is it?
I don't know what pipe you mean. The only thing I can think of that may look like a buttt plug would be my Rad Rhdeesian with the Spalted Tamarind cover? Is that the one you mean>

• Haha

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I don't know what pipe you mean. The only thing I can think of that may look like a buttt plug would be my Rad Rhdeesian with the Spalted Tamarind cover? Is that the one you mean>
No it’s the Scottie Piersel sandblast. It’s standing on a buttplug.

and I had to LOL at saying the Rhodesian is buttplug-esque ?
But no.. that pipe is great.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
jp, lol.

I would never let mylar touch my bulk tobacco. No one has a clue to whether it adds some kind of nasty flavor 10 years down the road, or maybe it only takes 5 years. I wouldn't let my bulks touch plastic bags that are heat sealed. What if in 8 years you find moldy tobacco? Does anyone really know if it promotes mold spores?

I think anyone who uses it is nuts but that is just my opinion
Esoterica's bagged tobaccos have been packaged in mylar since the brand's inception many years ago. I have heard zero complaints regarding any of the issues you have expressed concerns about. Indeed, a large percentage of bulk pipe tobaccos are packed in plastic bags, many of which are made of BoPET, aka Mylar. How might mylar promote mold spores? By superior moisture retention?

However, if you feel unsure (which is understandable), glass jars are a wonderful option. No one can argue with that choice. It is tried and true. On the other hand, no progress can be made if no one is willing to try something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.