Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I'll try to post a picture tomorrow on System pipe stems. If I'm not mistaken, System Spigot is only one not having "chimney" at the end of tenon. I'm pretty sure, on Premium and Standard, the chimney is just an extension and not a separate piece.
the chimney on a premier is the same as a deluxe,ie seperate peice
s-l1600 (11).jpgs-l1600 (5).jpg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Are the copper banded Xmas pipes not systems, nor the gold spigots?

(90% genuine question, 10% smart arse)
Don’t know if the copper banded pipes were systems, I bought one in 2020 and 2021. Gold spigots are gold plated or gold washed, on what I imagine is a silver base, or just really thin gold. I don’t know…

Reactions: Ahi Ka

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
That's older pipe. It was changed to acrylic stem just like Standard some time ago.
yes,its hallmarked 1978.
It is currently with Peterson for a new stem as I couldnt be bothered to clean up the oxidisation, I will be pissed if it comes back with a standard type one even more so if it is acrylic :)

Last edited:
Reactions: bullet08

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
yes,its hallmarked 1978.
It is currently with Peterson for a new stem as I couldnt be bothered to clean up the oxidisation, I will be pissed if it comes back with a standard type one even more so if it is acrylic :)
If you specified to the manufacture you wanted a new vulcanite stem, that's what they should be fitting for you.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
If you specified to the manufacture you wanted a new vulcanite stem, that's what they should be fitting for you.
I hope so,I sent the pipes with the original stems requesting replacements to be made and original ones returned
I didn't specify vulcanite but original ones were.

I would hope they will replace like for like including separate chimney on the premier grade pipeThey have had them over 2 months so far, speedy they are not.
But I was warned on here

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Pulling in a bunch of threads here:

1) Gold and copper mounts are not Systems.

The Gold is solid 9K, so 0.375 purity (typically 9K gold is 37.5% gold; 42.5% silver; 20% copper). While some factories have used 18K gold, 9K is a good balance for Peterson, both because pure(r) gold, so not as good for spigots and the like, and very expensive (and, goodness, the gold mounted pipes are already pretty pricey).

Copper has only been used for Christmas pipes, as bands, army mounts and spigots.

2) Yes, as others have pointed out, Peterson uses sterling silver and nickel mounts most of the time. The System Standard range uses nickel; Deluxe System, the older Premier System and System Spigots use sterling silver. Peterson doesn't use aluminum or steel.

3) The System condenser--that metal thing in the end of the stem--appears only on Deluxe System these days. There's an acrylic equivalent as part of the stem on System Standard.

4) The same shapes appear with different designations (for arcane 100-year-old reasons that are (mostly) lost to history) in all three lines. They can look pretty different because the ends of the shanks are turned differently for each of the three series, but the basic bowl shapes are the same. So, for example, the 9s and the 307 are the same basic shape, with the shanks turned differently.

5) Yes, we discontinued the Premier System in 2019. It fit awkwardly between System Standard and Deluxe System by the time we took over Peterson in 2018 as it had evolved over the previous 20 years to be closer to a System Standard, but with a silver mount and a different stain.

We nixed it in favor of expanding the Deluxe System range to include Deluxe System Dark Smooth (with bowls of equivalent quality to the Premier System Smooth) and Deluxe System Sandblasted (for which we reserved particularly nice sandblasts). Later we added Deluxe System PSB for the nicest/deepest sandblasts.

The System Spigot series was created as a limited thing in the mid-2010s in a handful of shapes. We brought it back to better fill that gap between System Standard and Deluxe System in a more appealing way (with vulcanite P-Lips, for example).

Finally, we resurrected the Supreme System--though very few actual pipes (11 total in two years!) have ever been made because bowls of sufficient quality are so scarce--to hold the very best smooth bowls and the very best sandblasted bowls.

I hope that answers some questions (though other people had shared most of this).

Sykes

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
For those wanting to try a Peterson Standard System pipe (or other System pipe), there are a few deals right now and the price is right.

P&C has a 20% off deal today only, putting the price around $80.

SPC also has a IPSD sale of 15% off (and a larger selection of Peterson's), putting the price around $83.

I was able to snag a Peterson House Pipe in one of these flash sales, which made the price hard to pass up.

20230107_200332.jpg

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish