PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
Besides the prices? Yes.
The standard system uses lower grade briar and has no chimney extending from the tenon.
The Deluxe system uses higher grade briar and has the chimney extending from the tenon.
The Deluxe system pipes also tend to be larger than the standard ones.
From my personal experience, I've noticed that better briar and the chimney produce more enhanced taste, from the start, than with the Standard system.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I’ve never seen anything other than sterling or nickel. Nickel is usually used on lower price point pipes like Aran and Irish Army. I personally like the nickel banded pipes, they don’t require constant polishing. One of my favorite pipes is a nickel band Aran Canadian.4DA97EA9-FFE1-4184-B958-EAAE80341D3C.jpeg

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
I’ve never seen anything other than sterling or nickel. Nickel is usually used on lower price point pipes like Aran and Irish Army. I personally like the nickel banded pipes, they don’t require constant polishing. One of my favorite pipes is a nickel band Aran Canadian.View attachment 201121
Mate, he's asking about the System pipes. ;)

Úlfheðnar

Lurker
Feb 7, 2023
Southern Illinois
Besides the prices? Yes.
The standard system uses lower grade briar and has no chimney extending from the tenon.
The Deluxe system uses higher grade briar and has the chimney extending from the tenon.
From my personal experience, I've noticed that better briar and the chimney produce more enhanced taste, from the start, than with the Standard system.
From my understanding, there are at least three options including, the steel band, the sterling band, and the DeLuxe.
The deLuxe looks visibly different with the different stem and all. But I am specifically looking at the other two. I don’t know if there is any way of telling them apart visibly, other than whether or not it has the sterling stamp.

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
From my understanding, there are at least three options including, the steel band, the sterling band, and the DeLuxe.
The deLuxe looks visibly different with the different stem and all. But I am specifically looking at the other two. I don’t know if there is any way of telling them apart visibly, other than whether or not it has the sterling stamp.
Ah, you must be referring to the System Premier. I'm not sure they still produce them and I can't tell you anything about them, I've never owned one.
Ditto with the Spigot system, I've never owned one.

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
There are currently 3 - System Standard, System Spigot, and Deluxe System.

The Standard and Spigot are similar apart from the spigot mount.

The Deluxe is the only current version that uses the aluminum extension/chimney.

I've got Standard & Deluxe Systems and I like them both. I will probably pick up a Spigot in the near future as well

There used to be a grade called the Premier system, which sat between the Standard and Deluxe which the Spigot now seems to occupy. It visibly looked like a Standard but had the aluminum extension and were a great value

Reactions: keith929

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
No matter winch iteration you choose, Peterson still holds it's place at the top of factory produced pipes.
disclaimer(I LOVE PETERSON). Peterson is my desert island pipe.

Reactions: romaso and scloyd

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Besides the prices? Yes.
I’ve never seen anything other than sterling or nickel. Nickel is usually used on lower price point pipes like Aran and Irish Army. I personally like the nickel banded pipes, they don’t require constant polishing. One of my favorite pipes is a nickel band Aran Canadian.View attachment 201121
I'm with @rustiepyles in never seeing anything other than nickel or sterling silver.

@Davy can you post an example of a steel banded system pipe? On SPC, it says that the standard system uses nickel bands.

sjohnston0311

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2023
Massachusetts, USA
I had a System Standard that I couldn't stand. Not because of the system - it was the p-lip. Too clunky and just uncomfortable to clench. Ive heard the p-lip on the System Deluxe is a lot more comfortable, but I have no experience with it myself.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I'll try to post a picture tomorrow on System pipe stems. If I'm not mistaken, System Spigot is only one not having "chimney" at the end of tenon. I'm pretty sure, on Premium and Standard, the chimney is just an extension and not a separate piece.