Difference Between Vodka/Rubbing Alcohol/Everclear?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've used Everclear for years. Then, I got some pipes.
jay-roger.jpg

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Thanks! Do you think there is a difference between 91-99?

I know there is between 70 & 91.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
According to the collective wisdom of this thread I conclude that the optimal is

half isopropyl and half everclear heated in a waterbath.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
If it's not potable, I will not use it for pipe cleaning. So no Isopropyl alcohol.
I found a new inexpensive alternative to Everclear at a local warehouse liquor store:

Mystic Mountain 42O Extractor 190-proof Grain Alcohol
It is made locally in Larkspur, CO, ostensibly for cannabis & hemp processing; it is in every-way equivalent to Everclear.
In addition to pipe cleaning, I use 190-proof grain alcohol to make liqueurs: Limoncello; a Coffee Liqueur that puts Kahúa to shame; a Chocolate Liqueur; a Ginger Liqueur; a Lavender-Vanilla Liqueur; & Anisette.

They make nice gifts for friends & family.

Reactions: greeneyes

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
IIRC, SPC uses denatured alcohol to clean estates.
Why would they use denatured alcohol?
Denatured alcohol, also called methylated spirit (in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and the United Kingdom) or denatured rectified spirit,[1] is ethanol that has additives to make it poisonous, bad-tasting, foul-smelling, or nauseating to discourage recreational consumption. It is sometimes dyed so that it can be identified visually. Pyridine, methanol,[2] or both can be added to make denatured alcohol poisonous, and denatonium can be added to make it bitter.
Yuck!!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Why would they use denatured alcohol?
We had an active member here from SPC whose name escapes me at the moment, that was in charge of restirations. He claimed they used denatured alcohol with retorts. Even found a diagram that listed it as a possible alcohol to use with a retort.
retort2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.