Difference Between Vodka/Rubbing Alcohol/Everclear?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ok I'm about to go on a bit of a tirade, bare with me....there are some functional differences between ethanol and isopropyl alcohol when it acts as a solvent. In ethanol the carbon chain is stright with an alcohol group on it (OH) where as isopropyl is not a straight chain it looks more like the inside of a peace sign with an alcohol group attached to it. However with that said, for the purposes of cleaning out a pipe, atleast in practice they both seem to do fairly well and they act very similar (without knowing the composition of what makes a dirty pipe dirty, I wouldn't know exactly tho) personally I use isopropyl (I try to find as close to 100% as possible) because I know it has a fairly low evaporation point and they usually dont add anything extra in it. I would NEVER use denatured alcohol in my pipe. The whole reason it's called denatured is because that means they have added something to it, like a bittent or other fowl chemical, to make it no longer good for human consumption.... And get some of that "bitter x" in your pipe forget about it. It's so bitter its detectable in concentrations of something like 1 ppb. Might as well toss that one in the fire.
This sums it up nicely. It was this information,gleaned from a decade of reading similar threads, is what led me to switch from Everclear to 99% Isopropyl alcohol. Iso evaporates faster than water, which might well make a good agent. But the iso works so well, I've never been inclined to switch.
I just went past my 200th pipe restoration, so I feel that that's a decent body of work to draw this conclusion.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hot running topwater works a treat.
That may be true, but it doesn't sanitize.
It does at the level of washing flatware and dishes, but neither is at the level of truly sanitized. For a newly acquired estate, I'll do both before the first smoke. First alcohol, then hot water.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It does at the level of washing flatware and dishes
I use bleach for the dishes.
For a newly acquired estate, I'll do both before the first smoke. First alcohol, then hot water.
That's what I was getting at. Alcohol to clean away any germs or mold on a newly acquired used pipe. Antibacterial soap for acrylic stems though.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Everclear user here, but I've got a bunch of my own herd that need to be cleaned. I'm going with jpmcwjr and use alcohol then hot water on 'em.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Most of my humble(cheap) pipe collection are estates, I've only used rubbing alcohol to sanitize mine and thus far dont think I will ever change. It's cheap, it works and I always have a bottle on hand for 1st aid stuff. Plus vodka is for drinking, and everclear well cant say I haven't drank it but that was back when I was in my late teens and couldn't fathom what hangovers can be once you hit 30 lol.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Back in the day, we would hollow out a watermelon and fill it with Everclear. Let it soak for a day and ... instant party.

But yeah, it will take the paint off your car!
Don

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Gummy bears + Everclear = Numb Me Bears
FinishedScientificLamprey-max-1mb.gif

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
We used to take those 5 gallon water coolers with the spigots at the bottom you use on construction jobs and whatnot and cut up a bunch of various fruits mix in a 2 bottles of everclear/golden grain and top off with lemonade, orange juice, fruit punch, apple juice, basically what ever juice you want. Let rest over night and next day BOOM, party. Cheap way to get alot of people drunk on the cheap lol

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I mix Everclear with lemonade, which I drink over ice while cleaning my pipes with Isopropyl alcohol. Works great every time! :puffy:

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
We used to take those 5 gallon water coolers with the spigots at the bottom you use on construction jobs and whatnot and cut up a bunch of various fruits mix in a 2 bottles of everclear/golden grain and top off with lemonade, orange juice, fruit punch, apple juice, basically what ever juice you want. Let rest over night and next day BOOM, party. Cheap way to get alot of people drunk on the cheap lol
As I was reading this I could feel the heartburn kicking in.

Reactions: Kevin Keith
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
We used to take those 5 gallon water coolers with the spigots at the bottom you use on construction jobs and whatnot and cut up a bunch of various fruits mix in a 2 bottles of everclear/golden grain and top off with lemonade, orange juice, fruit punch, apple juice, basically what ever juice you want. Let rest over night and next day BOOM, party. Cheap way to get alot of people drunk on the cheap lol''
In Finland, We use to call this stuff like Bol / Booli' shall I say Its quite popular summertime refreshment'

Status
Not open for further replies.