PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
Did you know,I would like to know,if there is anything we don't know,about Pipes and Tobacco.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Did you know...
That since time slows down when you travel faster, and the ultimate speed limit is the speed of light at which time essentially stops, and photons travel at the speed of light, the light from the sun takes 8 minutes to get to Earth by our clocks, but from the point of view of the photons themselves, no time elapses on the trip.
By the same token, people talk about black holes all the time as singularities: a star crushed down to zero size. Yet, due to the relativistic effects of being in such a grand gravity well, it has been calculated that the universe is not old enough to have allowed a singularity to fully form yet. They're collapsing, but getting slower and slower all the time from our point of view.
Some physics geekery for you. That should pull the closet physicists out and into the discussion!
Simon

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Some physics geekery for you. That should pull the closet physicists out and into the discussion!
I'm not in your league Classic, but I do read the Scitech section of Foxnews.com on a daily basis.
One new theory concerning "Black Holes" suggests the old science fiction movie The Black Hole may be premised on what could turn out to be science fact. The idea that "Black Holes" could be used to travel to parallel universes, may be theoretically possible.
So, I guess the old adage "What goes around, comes around" may be true on several levels.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
I shan't debate the merits of having one's cosmology education supplied by Fox News. :)
... because there is a TON of stuff we just don't know. And until someone effectively explains a lot of the facts that might add up to the Black Hole = gateway to parallel universe theory, that theory has the scientific right to exist and be disproven. But I draw the line at giant red robots

BlackHole03-thumb-400x170.jpg

Exactly how much we do and don't know are summed up pretty well in the book Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene. Worth a read, but not if you don't have a decent grounding in the basics of cosmology.
Simon

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
Actually,classicgeek,I did know that.Although you explained it with much fewer words then I ever could.
I posted a week or two ago under "What are you reading",and my response was "Einsteins theory of Relativity"
Somewhere before or after that I had learned what you wrote in your post.Ya,cool stuff.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I dropped out of cosmology school... just couldn't handle the sideburns class.

No matter how much I tried, I just couldn't keep their ears on straight. :)

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
"I am still trying to get over the idea that an eclipse ISN'T a monster eating the sun!"
-one half bottle J.D.

-two Perks

-325mgs Aspirin
That should clean you up in time for last call at the local Pub.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
I'm sorry classic.... if I look at the bottom of my bowl I can see a black hole. Guess I'll have to fill it with a couple of grams of tobacco to sort that Physics quandry out!!!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If you had a sphere as big as the Earth, and a rope was wrapped closely around its equator,

you would only need to splice-in an additional 3.14 feet of rope to create enough slack

to raise it 6 inches above the surface throughout its circumference.
If the sphere were only as large as a basketball, you would still need 3.14 feet of rope

to produce the same amount of slack.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
I did not know that.And as I love mathematics,I just made a formula that,and it said you are 100% correct.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
@cortezattic I also thought you were full of it on that one, so I pulled out the calculator, too. That really blew me away.
Simon

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
The powder on top of the gum is not sugar; it is talc (to keep the gum from sticking to the wrapper).
Hey Papipeguy,

Hate to step in your gum, but that powder on chewing is calcium carbonate not hydrated magnesium silicate. It is mined in Sylacauga Alabama.

It is the only source of eatable marble in the world. My wife's cousins have been working in those mines for generations. It is also the source of the whitest marble in the world. If you don't believe that just drive your black vehicle through those areas and you'll see.....

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
Can you buy talc in a jar for people that have dentures?
They could just dip there dentures in the talc once in a while.

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
In NY:

-the penalty for jumping off a building is death.

-people riding in elevators may not talk to anyone and must keep their arms folded and facing the door

-women may go topless in public as long as they are not using it for business purposes but...

-women may not wear "body hugging" clothing outside

-It is illegal for people to greet eachother by "putting one's thumb to the nose and wiggling the fingers"

Status
Not open for further replies.