PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
What is your "DID YOU KNOW"?
Your toenails still grow when you buy the farm.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
The reason some people are allergic to coffee is,because of the dried dead cockroaches mixed in with the beans at time of harvest.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Sorry to burst the long time "fact", but your hair and nails actually don't grow after death :) Snopes
Here is one that many of you probably know but if you forget if the eegs in your fridge are hard boiled or raw then spin it on a flat surface. If it wobbles, it’s raw. If it spins easily, it’s hard boiled. Also a fresh egg will sink when placed in water, and a stale one will float to the top!

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Bubbadrier wrote:

Sorry to burst the long time "fact", but your hair and nails actually don't grow after death
I went to embalming school until heavy drinking and money problems got in the way before I could pass the board. I still plan on finishing.
The misconceptions don't stop there.
For some reason people assume that in cremation, the bones burn too...nope. People think the gauge of steel on the casket is important; the only thing keeping them from getting crushed is the vault. They think they'll be six feet under, in my state it's around four, some states are less. Most of all, they think that any of it matters beyond a few days after they're gone. It's really just cosmetic stuff to help the grieving.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
bubbadreier said "Sorry to burst the long time "fact", but your hair and nails actually don't grow after death.
Thanks for clarifying that.I believed it all these years because of an old friend that prepared dead bodies for funerals.She said at times with open caskets,it was common to cut the nails again just before the funeral because the nails had regrown since death.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
I would like to know more about what they do in the morg with dead bodies.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Bubble gum does not take years to digest. It usually comes out within the next bowel movement.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Well dudley that is kinda wrong also. When a body is put in the retort and they start it up the process takes about 3 hrs and the bones are for a better term burned. They gentlemen operationg the retort does have to move them around a bit but they also break down to a fine white ash after a bit of time and help.
Also this is very weird, Dudley and I share the same birthday, same year, and same job ambition. I will have to ask my mother if I have a twin she got rid of or if I was adopted.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Did you know:

The shortest war in history was between Zanzibar and England in 1896. Zanzibar surrendered after 38 minutes.
The longest war in British history started when the Dutch declared war on the Royalist held Scilly Isles in 1651, during the English Civil War and, due to an administrative error, forgot to conclude a peace treaty until the mistake was discovered in 1986.
Another long war took place between Russia and Berwick on Tweed. Queen Victoria, in formally declaring the Crimean War in 1853, did so in the names of England, Scotland, Ireland and Berwick on Tweed, a town that, at the time, was in dispute between England and Scotland. The peace treaty of 1856 was concluded between England, Scotland and Ireland, leaving Berwick Town at war with Russia. A formal peace treaty was signed in 1966 between the mayor of Berwick and the Soviet ambassador, after which the mayor, Mr Robert Knox, told his Excellency the ambassador that “The Russian people can now sleep peaceably in their beds!”

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Back to chewing gum. The main ingredient is latex. The powder on top of the gum is not sugar; it is talc (to keep the gum from sticking to the wrapper).

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
excav8tor----I love hearing about History,and I did not know that.
Also,is there a mathematical equation for how much a body will weigh after the burning in relation to the weight before death?Or are there too many variables?

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
After I "buy the farm," what do I care if my toenails grow? As long as I have a pipe and tobacco to take with me. I won't need matches.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Did you know: If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.
Somebody pass those pickled eggs. I have a hankering to go to N.Korea in a few years.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
To be honest Earnest the variables are to great to get to the exact second. It does have to do with body type and mass, it also has to do with the external enviroment as well (humidity and such). Saying that, if you are fat you can start a fire in the retort and do large amount damage do to the oils in your fat.
The intresting thing about this profession is that there is no one way to get the same end result. You will meet some that will use one method and the next guy will do it totally differnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.