PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
i smoked some vision of celephais in one of my pipes recently and boy did it ghost. I could smell the grape bubble gum scent in the pipe when it was just sitting on my desk. i ran some other blends through the pipe maybe 2-3 bowls and smell/taste is gone. i think ghosting is overrated and something people use to convince themselves they need more pipes
Unless you're a Lakeland smoker. or smoke Rattray's Exotic Orange. Then you better commit a pipe to it, or you'll still be smoking Ennerdale when you're really smoking a straight VA.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I've got some inexpensive pipes that I bought 30 years ago, and smoked some funky tobacco in. They've been sitting around unused for almost as long; I don't smell nothin'...

Rumors abound on the Interwebs… Lots of "experts" making all sorts of claims.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I don't think one bowl of anything can really ghost a pipe. Maybe you'll taste it in the next couple bowls, but that "ghost" will be smoked out very easily. I've gotten rid of nasty ghosts from estate pipes through a combination of the old salt and alcohol treatment plus plenty of smoking. Carter Hall has been my ghostbusting blend of choice, though smoking the ghost out is more of a chore than a good smoke.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I have enough pipes to do some dedicating of blends and had some intention to do so. It turns out to this point in time I enjoy just picking a blend and a pipe that strike me in the moment.

The result is that the sequence of blends that might go through a pipe are completely random. I haven’t found an issue. Like others, I run pipe cleaners through my pipes and “ream” the bowl with paper towel after each bowl.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
A few months ago purchased, from a very reputable personage, a Barling pre-trans estate, "hot s**t" And the thing had a bitch of a ghost. After a few bowls, still disgusting. Lost patience. Sent it to Mike Myers of Walker Pipe Repair. For $5 an ozone treatment remove the ghost. Though I suspect hanging with it for a few more smokes might have done it, but just didn't have the patience.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think a lot of the info we get on pipes is outdated and not about how people smoke pipes now. I think ghosting is more of an issue when you have one shop in town that carries a few tins and some bulk. So probably way more common to smoke a tin straight through maybe the same tin for years. Now that will give a pipe a ghost that may last for a while before the flavor is gone. Or that could be just how I remember it happening when I'd buy one tin or pouch and smoke it till it was gone and probably buy the same blend again. Even then the ghost is still more of a lingering hint then a fistful of flavor.

Reactions: UncleRasta

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
if you want to ghost a pipe try smoking any of the Vauen "Auenland" offerings..
I pretty much ruined a brand new pipe with these and it left a cat piss/urinal cake odor.

I find half and half to leave a goofy flavor in pipes.

some ghosts can be friendly.. I have a Peterson Mark Twain that must have been smoked only with Sir Walter Aromatic. It has a pleasantly sweet taste that I don't mind. However it's going away now. So if you smoke anything enough over it, it will usually go away.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
if you want to ghost a pipe try smoking any of the Vauen "Auenland" offerings..
I pretty much ruined a brand new pipe with these and it left a cat piss/urinal cake odor.
Can't say that has been my experience. They do leave an amazing fruity scent in the bowl, which is gone with the next smoke.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I don't smoke Latakia but yes it smells bad..
I smoke in my kitchen with the vent on mainly or in the car.
I also like aromatics, just not those particular ones... Vauen does have some better offerings IMO.
Have you tried the Jubilaumsedition?

Reactions: musicman

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
it's really good! another of my favorites from them is "crunchy blend" it's deliciously sweet and nutty!

Status
Not open for further replies.