PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
Shit. My fishmobile is so saturated with fish slime, moose blood, and bloodhound fur its undetailable. But I still do a half assed attempt every fall after the summer carnage.
Sounds like my '76 CJ-5. Took years to get the wet dog, pipe tobacco smoke, deer blood and damp mud smell just right. Wouldn't want to ruin it by detailing the Ole Girl.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Yep. Twice a year I clay my SUV. During the week, I’ll wash it at least every weekend, moreso after a rain.
I LOVE McGuire’s Xpress Wax. It shines up everything. Good on body, glass, trim, brightwork. Only bad thing is you can only get it online. But that big gallon lasts all year. * I know some claim the xpress wax is just a bulk version of the regular spray wax, but that stuff leaves a nasty residue that the Xpress wax doesn’t.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I want to know why you have a little man attached to your car radio aerial ;)

Regards,

Jay.

I sassed me. Now he hangs there!
I like cleaning mine as well. 2021 Silverado HD with 141k miles on it. Living in the rust belt takes its toll however and the rockers are rusting out.
Now that I am retired I have been looking at a 2nd ride. Considering a Tesla or the new Corvette C8.

How did you get a 141K miles on it in such a short time?

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Yep. Twice a year I clay my SUV. During the week, I’ll wash it at least every weekend, moreso after a rain.
I LOVE McGuire’s Xpress Wax. It shines up everything. Good on body, glass, trim, brightwork. Only bad thing is you can only get it online. But that big gallon lasts all year. * I know some claim the xpress wax is just a bulk version of the regular spray wax, but that stuff leaves a nasty residue that the Xpress wax doesn’t.

McGuiare"s makes good stuff. Their Scratch X is a miracle in a bottle. So much of what is out there is 90% hype and 10% product. I splurged and bought a jar of Zymol Rouge Wax for my 94 Miata when I had it. $75 later and it was no better than a $20 can of wax. Turtle Wax's Ice line is also excellent except for their polish.

Reactions: Mr_houston

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The car wash, robotic or staffed, does a better job than I do, so I do that. Now I have to get a new set of tires, per my recent thread (and thank you for the good advice). Does it seem to you that the car runs better after it's washed? I supposed that's some kind of an emotional reaction, or maybe it's some humidity in the engine compartment. Ever noticed?

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
The car wash, robotic or staffed, does a better job than I do, so I do that. Now I have to get a new set of tires, per my recent thread (and thank you for the good advice). Does it seem to you that the car runs better after it's washed? I supposed that's some kind of an emotional reaction, or maybe it's some humidity in the engine compartment. Ever noticed?
No, but I do enjoy driving it more if it’s cleaned up.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I sassed me. Now he hangs there!

How did you get a 141K miles on it in such a short time?
I just realised I wrote 2021! haha...it is a 2001!
I just drove it to work and back. Otherwise just for hauling stuff, dump runs etc. Usually took the wife's vehicle for errands when I was home from work.
I used to burn wood pellets and picked up 2 ton each fall. Now mostly it hauls mulch!mulch.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Back in 1986, I used to pay my detailer around 11,180 a week. We were selling so many cars a week he made a fortune. The guy was great and he worked his ass off. The general manager once asked me why we were paying him so much and I asked him if he wanted to me to quit selling so many cars? I told him I could easily stop selling so many cars if he wanted me to. He then asked me how much a car I was paying him. He said that is all you are paying him, that shut him up real quick.

Last edited:

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
I do my 911 every week, and I really get bored quick with it. My F150 only gets done if it is plastered in bird sh!t.
I will recommend the Chemical Guys products though, they make some pretty solid stuff, I use it a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.