PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Anyone else like detailing their own car? I do. I wouldn't want to do it for a living but I very much enjoy washing, waxing and detailing my own car. There is something therapeutic about it. So much so that I haven't gotten into ceramic coatings because they last a long time and I like the process of cracking open a tin of carnauba wax, applying it and watching iit hazy over before buffing it off.05C1C6CD-C92C-4BEE-BEA2-E4C6E63C2147.jpeg

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Anyone else like detailing their own car? I do. I wouldn't want to do it for a living but I very much enjoy washing, waxing and detailing my own car. There is something therapeutic about it. So much so that I haven't gotten into ceramic coatings because they last a long time and I like the process of cracking open a tin of carnauba wax, applying it and watching iit hazy over before buffing it off.View attachment 84102
Once upon a time I did, and also found it therapeutic. Now it seems more of a chore, and I only like it when it’s done. I’m not sure what changed. Nice MR2, by the way. I do enjoy working on my jeep though, doing modifications and routine maintenance. I guess I like wrenches more than rags nowadays. ?‍♂️

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Anyone else like detailing their own car? I do. I wouldn't want to do it for a living but I very much enjoy washing, waxing and detailing my own car. There is something therapeutic about it. So much so that I haven't gotten into ceramic coatings because they last a long time and I like the process of cracking open a tin of carnauba wax, applying it and watching iit hazy over before buffing it off.View attachment 84102

I preferred contributing to the beer funds of (comment removed/Al) when my truck was in Texas. Although, now that my vehicle is in AK full time, I just don’t bother anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hauntedmyst

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
No. Once upon a time but not anymore. Where I live the truck is dirty again before I could enjoy the results of my labor. No.

I do drive through the touchless wash about every fill up or two and I do vacuum and clean the interior frequently. I’m not uncivilized, lol.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I just did a deep detail on a truck I was going to sell. It was a 13 year old Sequoia. Man, I loved that truck. I wanted to get as much as possible.

I watch all the videos and bought all the tools, rags, chemical products. It became something of an obsession for 2 weeks. This was during COVID, so I had some extra time. I worked it over inside and out like I’ve never done with any of my vehicles. My shoulders ached for 3 weeks straight. I even detailed the engine and the underside of the hood.

Part way through, I began to wonder if there might be a purpose to the odd-for-me obsession. So, I prayed about it - wouldn’t it be cool if this truck could be meaningful somehow.

Just before I was done with it, I learned that a young man that I admire was in desperate need for a reliable vehicle. His wife wouldn’t even ride in the one he had. Rule of life - don’t sell a vehicle to a friend. And I didn’t want to sell him mine. But, I felt like I had to consider it.

The morning I was to show him the truck, his car wouldn’t start. Now, I’m really paying close attention to the coincidence of it all. I quote him the lower end of my expected price, but he hesitated. He has 3 young kids and a lives off a minister’s salary. I took off another 10%, and told him I’d consider it a tithe. He did buy it. And I sent in no other tithe that month.

I loved that truck and am so glad it’s being put to good use.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Shit. My fishmobile is so saturated with fish slime, moose blood, and bloodhound fur its undetailable. But I still do a half assed attempt every fall after the summer carnage.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I just did a deep detail on a truck I was going to sell. It was a 13 year old Sequoia. Man, I loved that truck. I wanted to get as much as possible.

I watch all the videos and bought all the tools, rags, chemical products. It became something of an obsession for 2 weeks. This was during COVID, so I had some extra time. I worked it over inside and out like I’ve never done with any of my vehicles. My shoulders ached for 3 weeks straight. I even detailed the engine and the underside of the hood.

Part way through, I began to wonder if there might be a purpose to the odd-for-me obsession. So, I prayed about it - wouldn’t it be cool if this truck could be meaningful somehow.

Just before I was done with it, I learned that a young man that I admire was in desperate need for a reliable vehicle. His wife wouldn’t even ride in the one he had. Rule of life - don’t sell a vehicle to a friend. And I didn’t want to sell him mine. But, I felt like I had to consider it.

The morning I was to show him the truck, his car wouldn’t start. Now, I’m really paying close attention to the coincidence of it all. I quote him the lower end of my expected price, but he hesitated. He has 3 young kids and a lives off a minister’s salary. I took off another 10%, and told him I’d consider it a tithe. He did buy it. And I sent in no other tithe that month.

I loved that truck and am so glad it’s being put to good use.

Well done.

Aug 1, 2012
Had a part time job in high school detailing cars for a rental car company. After what I saw doing that, I can't stand the thought of having to do it again. I'll pay someone else to do it for me or let my car get as dirty as it gets.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
After all of these pipe &tobacco and liquor acquisitions,I hardly got any spending money left to detail my old rear wheel drive sedan,
I'm simply trying to keep it rolling and live, occasionally ordering spare parts from the US, next week come I'm looking forward to spending some 99$ on the A/C overhaul,,,

Reactions: instymp and jpmcwjr

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Your Spyder looks great, guess it is easily 15 years old.

I also enjoy detailing our vehicles. We tend to keep our vehicles for a long time. My wife's big black Silverado is 11 years old, but I'm proud of how it looks. My daily driver Lincoln has 200,00 miles on it, but also looks pretty darn good. I use a Meguiars (Porter-Cable) pad system for applying wax and polish (truck gets polished, then waxed 3x's annually). Remove by hand.

She had the truck in our local, small town Memorial Day parade with her boss. Sides get a good coat of wax before signs or flags can touch that black paint!

1623497553973.png

My daily at 200,000 miles (the truck usually gets that garage space shared with the MGB)

1623497728522.png

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I like cleaning mine as well. 2021 Silverado HD with 141k miles on it. Living in the rust belt takes its toll however and the rockers are rusting out.
Now that I am retired I have been looking at a 2nd ride. Considering a Tesla or the new Corvette C8.

Status
Not open for further replies.