New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also thought so at first. Since an island cannot be a desert, I went ahead to do some research. Desert Island in an archaic way of speech which means deserted island ? ie an uninhabited island. The meaning of the word desert here is uninhabited.
Looks like pipe smoking is dangerous - there is a high probability of getting stuck in a deserted island with an unlimited supply of one pipe blend and nothing else.

It's hard to imagine an island in the desert.

Devon Island is a uninhabited island (deserted). This is an example of the archaic use of the word desert to mean uninhabited.

Most people understand this to be a desert - “A desert is a barren area of landscape where little precipitation occurs and, consequently, living conditions are hostile for plant and animal life.” (From Wikipedia)

Devon Island

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Devon Island is a uninhabited island (deserted). This is an example of the archaic use of the word desert to mean uninhabited.

Most people understand this to be a desert - “A desert is a barren area of landscape where little precipitation occurs and, consequently, living conditions are hostile for plant and animal life.” (From Wikipedia)
But it actually is an island desert. Was making reference to your comment about and island not being able to be a desert.

Mars-on-Earth-Devon-Island-Google-Street-View.jpg

Anyone who's seen Gilligan's Island or read Robinson Crusoe is aware of the term "desert island", but Devon Island is and island that is a desert.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob
Some parts of Devon island does have a desert like microclimate with very low rainfall.Completely true. Other parts of the island (low lying and proximity to the sea) supports wildlife and vegetation. Parts of the island is indeed a desert, while others are not.

If an island is very large, parts of it can be a desert. However, since an island is surrounded by water, it cannot completely be a desert.

But it actually is an island desert. Was making reference to your comment about and island not being able to be a desert.

Mars-on-Earth-Devon-Island-Google-Street-View.jpg

Anyone who's seen Gilligan's Island or read Robinson Crusoe is aware of the term "desert island", but Devon Island is and island that is a desert.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yeah, but they're all closed as they are too old according to the boss. That means that we get to have new postings of this thread forever...bwa, ha, ha, haaa!
and we're going to keep getting them as long as anyone thinks you know I could live with just this blend if I really had to, yes I'd still smoke like a fiend if this is all there was available.

Reactions: Casual
Status
Not open for further replies.