PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
20220514_194433.jpg
Just wondering if any of the great minds of the pipe universe have any knowledge of this pipe. I've been searching but coming up with precious little. The only markings on the briar are Derby and France. I don't know its age but it is unsmoked for the moment. I've never seen plumbing quite like what this pipe has either. The shank is dived into upper and lower chambers. Two holes from the bowl move smoke into the lower chamber and four tubes take smoke high into the upper chamber. A long tube extends from the stem, reaching down low into the upper chamber. Should be interesting to clean, but the smoke should have plenty of time to cool. I'm a sucker for gadgets and interesting devices so this one just couldn't resist it!
Thanks

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
Most of those innovations came about in search for a cooler, drier smoke.
That most did not survive or become popularised may be an indication of their lack of success.
Yes, it is definitely more complicated than most would enjoy for very long. Simplicity has its benefits.

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
I like these innovative approaches to pipe making too. It is a nice looking cavalier to my eyes. There are plenty of great ideas that never gained traction/become popular. This could be one of those idea. You can find out and let us know LOL.
The looks are what caught my eye, I didn't realize how unique it was until after it arrived. I was hoping to find a little history on it before I took it out for a test drive. It keeps calling to me so I might not last much longer. I'm setting here at the moment thinking about what I want to fill it with for the inaugural smoke. Ah, the adventure!

Reactions: OzPiper

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
OK... I have done some poking around. It is likely an "Oldenkott", an old German brand. Oldenkott had pipes made outside of Germany... Denmark and France are two examples. I found an example of an Oldenkott "Derby" made in France here: Oldenkott Derby Extra-Estate Pipe- Made in France | #1819543989 - https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/oldenkott-derby-extra-estate-pipe-1819543989
Also, the engineering on that pipe certainly leans towards Germanic... or at least does not rule Germany out.
Thanks for poking around! This is the only one I've come across online like mine. I haven't been able to confirm any of the claims made in the description like circa 1900 and Genod made. Part of the draw of these old pipes is the history and sometimes mystery that comes with them.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
One of you (looking at you, @Donb1972 ) should start up a "Show us your......." Thread dedicated to "Innovations in Pipe-making"

I know Tim (@ashdigger) has a few interesting examples

Intrigues me to find how a simple tobacco-burning device (essentially a chamber and an airway) can be complicated and become over-designed/engineered ?

Please NO entries with "interesting" stingers (NOT) nor Peterson systems lookalikes ?

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Thanks for poking around! This is the only one I've come across online like mine. I haven't been able to confirm any of the claims made in the description like circa 1900 and Genod made. Part of the draw of these old pipes is the history and sometimes mystery that comes with them.

I am with you 100%. I am enthralled with discovering the background of pipes. I am often ask for help for info... I am glad I could give back in this instance.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have always found the cavalier shape too theatrical, but this one has a traditional spin to it that appeals to me. I'm not sure about the complicated plumbing, but I'd be interested to hear how it smokes, and how it is to clean. I think it is a handsome pipe.

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
I have always found the cavalier shape too theatrical, but this one has a traditional spin to it that appeals to me. I'm not sure about the complicated plumbing, but I'd be interested to hear how it smokes, and how it is to clean. I think it is a handsome pipe.
Theatrical, that's a great word to describe many of the cavalier shape pipes out there! Most are a bit much for me as well. I don't know about the airflow yet, but someone got the ascetics right for my eyes. Normally I'm in a rush to try a new pipe but something keeps telling me to wait till I have some good, undisturbed reflecting time.

Reactions: kcghost

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
Finally took this old pipe out for a spin this morning. Filled with G L Pease Gaslight, it was one of the easiest, smoothest, and coolest smokes I've had in a long time. Over-engineered maybe, but to a wonderful effect.

Lost Somnambulist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2021
Alabama
Great find! I would have bought it also. Looks like the plug at the bottom of the shank comes out for cleaning?
The plug does unscrew for cleaning. Complicated plumbing but breaks down so that everything is easy to get to. Now I'm going to let it rest a bit while I anticipate the next smoke!