PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
That just seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face, doesn't it? Seems like the Danes ought to protect their pipe and tobacco industries from stuff like this.

heyeveryone

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
Still too many young people unfortunately start smoking cigarettes here.

And becouse of cigarettes they increase pipe and cigar prices aswell, like thats the issue. Why are they even in the same "tobacco" category? Most modern cigarettes are not even "tobacco" but a lab made cocktail of ammonia treated god knows what.

Isn't Motzek also in Kiel?

Tabak aus Kiel=TAK=Motzek. Same company, different names. Most of my tobacco comes from Germany, as im lucky to have friends who regulary drive trucks Sweden-Germany. The prices are much, much lower. A tin of peterson nightcap is 15usd in Germany, 27usd in Sweden.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I could never have imagined a day could come when tobacco and marijuana seemingly trade places in both public opinion and law. Strangely enough, I'm guessing that day will soon be upon us, if it hasn't already in many localities.

Reactions: BROBS and 3rdguy

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
Tobacco is (at least for now) fast, easy and relatively cheap to order from Germany (to DK). The price difference will (after the tax increase) be such that most of the tobacco sales with go this way (even the Danish Pipe Store anticipates this in their blog posting). This is not good news for the remaining Danish B&M stores, including the great team at the Danish Pipe Store. On the other hand I would estimate that they make most of their profit with online pipe sales already anyway.

heyeveryone

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
Tobacco is (at least for now) fast, easy and relatively cheap to order from Germany (to DK). The price difference will (after the tax increase) be such that most of the tobacco sales with go this way (even the Danish Pipe Store anticipates this in their blog posting). This is not good news for the remaining Danish B&M stores, including the great team at the Danish Pipe Store. On the other hand I would estimate that they make most of their profit with online pipe sales already anyway.

It will become like with alcohol. Swedish people buy there alcohol in Denmark, and the Danish buy theres in Germany.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Shameless self-interest, but will the Danish tax increase on tobacco affect the price of imported Danish tobacco in the U.S.? Or does it only apply to Danish consumers? For example, will Peter Stokkebye bulk blends increase in price in the U.S.? In Denmark, the increase will be a drag on moderate smokers, but an outright penalty for all-day smokers.

heyeveryone

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
Shameless self-interest, but will the Danish tax increase on tobacco affect the price of imported Danish tobacco in the U.S.? Or does it only apply to Danish consumers? For example, will Peter Stokkebye bulk blends increase in price in the U.S.? In Denmark, the increase will be a drag on moderate smokers, but an outright penalty for all-day smokers.

This will only affect tobacco being sold in Denmark.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am sorry to hear it for Danish pipe smokers. And after their nation gave us and gives us such wonderful pipes from Nording, Stanwell, Mogen Johansen, Bari, and on back into history. One of my grammar school friends was a Dane, the son of a junior consul for Denmark in Chicago. My friend gave me a poster of the Danish monarchs I had on my bedroom wall for years.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I hear tins in Australia are over $100 so look on the bright side ?
Yes and it's getting worse.
Automatic tax hikes twice a year were set years ago. By the end of the year 50g will be close to $150.
As one could imagine, black market tobacco, known as chop-chop, is doing a roaring trade.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Yes and it's getting worse.
Automatic tax hikes twice a year were set years ago. By the end of the year 50g will be close to $150.
As one could imagine, black market tobacco, known as chop-chop, is doing a roaring trade.
If they will keep increasing taxes on tobacco products like this the smuggling business will be flourishing and Your country will eventually be in deep trouble in this regards, not too far away are countries where Tobacco products cost a fraction of Australian prices, to name a few only, China, India and Philippines,,

Reactions: BROBS and chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
If they will keep increasing taxes on tobacco products like this the smuggling business will be flourishing and Your country will eventually be in deep trouble in this regards, not too far away are countries where Tobacco products cost a fraction of Australian prices, to name a few only, China, India and Philippines,,
Most of the chop-chop is grown in the Middle-East. There's many Middle Eastern 'refugees' who've made themselves very rich from the trade.

There's an awful lot of insects from overseas that could have a devastating effect on our agriculture.
Black market tobacco has no quality control [it's rubbish tobacco] and passes through our borders with no quarantine inspection. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Not that our authorities could give a rats arse. They're addicted to the tax $$$.

Apart from smuggled Asian brands that can be bought in Chinatown, the only thing that I've heard coming from China, is counterfeit cartons of cigarettes; Benson & Hedges for e.g..
The packaging looks authentic but instead of using actual tobacco in the cigarettes, they're filled with all sorts of garbage like sawdust and cork. Stupid bastards. As soon as one lights one up it's obvious that it's not tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.