PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyeveryone

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title ( See Rule 9 ) - Bob

Denmarks parlament has voted for higher tobacco taxes, prices on tins of pipe tobacco will increase with about 30% after April 1st.

Sad news for all danish pipesmokers.

Last edited by a moderator:

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
These further taxes are ‘only’ for all finished tobacco products, paid by customers in the Danish home market. Customers like me. Reason: Still too many young people unfortunately start smoking cigarettes here. At least the government is also ‘attacking’ fossil fuel cars, and woodburning stoves in residential neighbourhoods, although only slowly, so that we all, including the ‘soon to become ex-smokers’ can someday better smell and breath some fresh and less carcinogenic air. More and more employers here now also forbid employees to smoke at all during working hours, in breaks, no matter where you are, if outside or even if working from home. Becoming a ‘weekend or evening smoker’, like many members here, never worked for me, although I tried several times, during the last four decades.
But I will obviously have to try harder?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
People are drinking and partaking in recreational drugs all the time. Are they increasing taxes on those also? How about coffee? Why are tobaccos being penalized so much? Is there specific reason to look harshly into this life style? Meat eating? Starch veggies? Somehow I feel this is unfair.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
People are drinking and partaking in recreational drugs all the time. Are they increasing taxes on those also? How about coffee? Why are tobaccos being penalized so much? Is there specific reason to look harshly into this life style? Meat eating? Starch veggies? Somehow I feel this is unfair.
Tobacco has been a primary target for years now. just the way it is these days.

Reactions: BROBS
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
These further taxes are ‘only’ for all finished tobacco products, paid by customers in the Danish home market. Customers like me. Reason: Still too many young people unfortunately start smoking cigarettes here. At least the government is also ‘attacking’ fossil fuel cars, and woodburning stoves in residential neighbourhoods, although only slowly, so that we all, including the ‘soon to become ex-smokers’ can someday better smell and breath some fresh and less carcinogenic air. More and more employers here now also forbid employees to smoke at all during working hours, in breaks, no matter where you are, if outside or even if working from home. Becoming a ‘weekend or evening smoker’, like many members here, never worked for me, although I tried several times, during the last four decades.
But I will obviously have to try harder?
Well, that's sad to hear,I couldn't imagine that happening since I was under the impression Denmark being pretty tobacco friendly and tolerate country in this regard, most probably if the employer would start whining about my smoking,then in all probability I'd call it quits in very short order,what is clear for me,I would not become a weekend only smoker,

Reactions: chopper

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
Well, that's sad to hear,I couldn't imagine that happening since I was under the impression Denmark being pretty tobacco friendly and tolerate country in this regard, most probably if the employer would start whining about my smoking,then in all probability I'd call it quits in very short order,what is clear for me,I would not become a weekend only smoker,

Agree but the employer will not only whine. They are free to sack you, according to Danish law. If the rising cost of pipe smoking continues this way, we can soon just as well start collecting and review taste of licking Penny Blue stamps. Or quit, as you say.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Got my order of Brown Sugar Flake last fall...wish they would find a way to ship again to the U.S.
I’ve heard that it’s good!

SPC had a single order of it back in 2016. It was gone very quickly. Not bad, but I prefer Aylesbury Luxury Flake.

img_20160824_010936-600x337.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Agree but the employer will not only whine. They are free to sack you, according to Danish law. If the rising cost of pipe smoking continues this way, we can soon just as well start collecting and review taste of licking Penny Blue stamps. Or quit, as you say.
That's why many of us have hundreds of pounds put away. We saw this coming years ago.

Reactions: chopper

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
SPC had a single order of it back in 2016. It was gone very quickly. Not bad, but I prefer Aylesbury Luxury Flake.

img_20160824_010936-600x337.jpg
The Classic I didn”t care for but their Sir John’s Flake, that is tasty stuff.

I may do another order of BS Flake down the road. I imagine a few more tax increases locally, no US tobacco sales...they will be making a tough go of it.

Reactions: BROBS

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com

I think it's ironic that "big tobacco" can no longer advertise anywhere but I passed a billboard for a Cannabis convention on the expressway on Monday.

Reactions: 3rdguy and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.