PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jrsower

Lurker
Jun 13, 2020
Southeast United States
Maybe goofy question. I have a really nice poker that has a very deep bowl. It’s brand new and I haven’t smoked it yet because I tend to have to relight several times when using a regular depth pipe.

i know that when it get down about half way I won’t be able to relight with my lighter.
Would it be a mistake to use pipe screens (metal balls?) to essentially “raise” the level of the bottom of the bowl? That way half the tobacco would basically fill up the bowl.
Make sense?

Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Maybe goofy question. I have a really nice poker that has a very deep bowl. It’s brand new and I haven’t smoked it yet because I tend to have to relight several times when using a regular depth pipe.

i know that when it get down about half way I won’t be able to relight with my lighter.
Would it be a mistake to use pipe screens (metal balls?) to essentially “raise” the level of the bottom of the bowl? That way half the tobacco would basically fill up the bowl.
Make sense?
Just use the cannon ball packing method.

Reactions: anotherbob

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[i know that when it get down about half way I won’t be able to relight with my lighter.
Make sense?]

The real reason to use pipe screens in tobacco pipes is to create an air chamber below the tobacco to improve the combustion of the tobacco. It can be said correctly that you don't need it and you can accomplish the same with a packing technique, but this is why using a pipe screen if you wish.

If you have a deep bowl the best thing you can do to light deep in the bowl is using an hempwick best if with a wick holder such as the flickwick which makes a breeze its use. Actually I am using now just only hemp wick for all light/relight, I was a match guy but this is way better.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I’ve got Briarworks pipes with 2+ inch deep bowls that completely swallow my pinky finger, and both my Kiribi Mikazuki and Lotus Vertigo Puffer don’t have trouble reaching down far enough to get at the last bit of tobacco, and they’re not even set anywhere near the largest end of the flame adjustment dial. You’ll probably be fine.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
In my opinion, drawing strongly enough on the stem while lighting would be able pull the flame successfully to the tobacco for even the deepest bowled pipe. It may simply be a need for additional practice. For an old timer, like me (40+ years of pipe smoking) it is just second nature in terms of draw rate for any pipe size. ?