PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
My mind is way too disorganized, and my palate too vague, to dedicate at this point.
Fortunately, Latakia and non-euro aromatics aren’t part of my usual rotation.
I may be at the point where it may be good for a pipe or two to get committed to the few Lakeland style aros I do smoke occasionally.

Reactions: Piping Abe

burleybreath

Lifer
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
My only dedicated pipe was a gift a decade ago that came to me out of the blue by an apparent admirer. It was a beautifully shaped "artisan" billiard, and came with a tin of Laurel Heights. I've never smoked anything else in it. But I do tend to smoke latakia blends in older Brit wood. English/English, get it? rotf

Reactions: Elric

Jahman7

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2024
Texas
Generally pipes with wide chambers will get more complex blends. Narrow chambers get VA related blends.
I've not thought about doing this. Sounds about right based on my pipes, but have not noticed it working out that way until you said it.

Jahman7

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2024
Texas
Nope. I smoke what I want to in any pipe I have. I ain't afraid of no ghosts. A couple pipes or a light cleaning will get rid of most ghosts for me. If I do worry, I start in a cob and go from there. In my opinion inexorable ghosts are another myth of the pipe world.
I was thinking the same thing. This has been my experience as well, with one exception... I generally won't mix aromatics with english blends in the same large bowl pipe. I will, however, mix in my small bowl pipe. I have one dedicated to whatever I want, when I want. It's been an interesting, although impure, experience. I have enjoyed it most of the time, and only occasionally find it unpleasant.

Reactions: captainsousie

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I’m trying to heard my lat blends into just a few pipes but its tough. I do think the sav I got today will be for one lat blend that tends to burn a bit quick. The larger bowl will be good. Other than a few heavy lats the remainder land where they may.

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I used to have a loose colour code for different genres of tobacco, i.e., light finish for Virginias, dark finish for Englishes, etc. As time has gone on, I have amassed enough pipes to dedicate specific pipes to specific blends (and their variants). Some are used more broadly.

Sometimes my choices are playful, where I’ll pair a pipe that is wrapped with Pony Hair covered leather (or a figural horse shaped pipe) with a blend that has a horse element in its name; or I might have a pipe made for a particular tobacconist and smoke blends from that tobacconist in that pipe.
Funny you mention this.
Some pipes just "look" like they are for a certain genre.
I have an old rusticated GBD with a very dark brown color and a very odd rustication that just screamed HEAVY LATAKIA when I got it.
It has been a great Latakia smoker for many years.....mostly C&D Star of the East.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
No and No. First, I decide what tobacco I 'need' to smoke; then I decide which pipe to smoke based on how much I want to smoke (size) and which ones are clean and ready to go. That took longer to type than the thought process involved. As I rinse my pipes regularly no real need to dedicate. Also I only smoke a few blends.