PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Igloo you nailed it. Last year was hard on everything in the hill country and we lost a lot of deer. Get off the trails and you will find bones everywhere from last years drought :crying: In the long run, I think the die off was a positive thing, the deer that made it through found plenty to eat this year and they all look good.

Heres a game cam pic from last summer if you want to see starving deer. Some of them were much worse than these, ribs showing and bony hips. We ran feeders all year just to try and keep them alive. I felt bad for them, only took one deer and we ran out of meat early.

PICT3475.jpg

It wasnt just animals that suffered. If you look at my pics earlier you'll see grey leafless trees everywhere. These are all dead Live Oaks, and they were old trees too. Texas A&M estimated the state of Texas lost 200-300 million trees in the last few years to drought. Drive anywhere in West Texas and you'll see dead standing trees everywhere you go.
.If you hunt on a real ranch honk the horn and lay down feed in the road then get a good spot with a clear shot and take your pick .
:rofl: Thats the ticket. There are so many deer in the Hill Country its not a matter of finding one, its a matter of picking the one you want to eat. Seeing 40 deer a day is common. Our Rancher is worried about the die off, he doesnt want does shot for a few years. I think thats crazy, they died because they were overpopulated, but his ranch his rules. So for now we take bucks only, and I might as well shoot something worth putting on the wall !

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Just bought a new computer today so the only pictures I can find right now are on facebook. Here's a few:
First whitetail (doe of course) with my bow. Hunted my whole life with a rifle and just picked up a bow two seasons ago:

269664_161306540603531_1764927_n.jpg

This one is with my faithful hunting partner after a dove hunt last year (not so successful if I remember right but fun none the less):

380038_10150576231677930_5640373_n.jpg

And lastly..... this buck was NOT mine, I only wish it was. A friend trains/ runs deer tracking dogs in his spare time. He caught this wounded buck a few weeks ago on a free range ranch outside of Laredo, TX for a bow hunter. I believe it is the new state bow record:

IMG_3649_resized_zpsdf623575.png

Sorry for the small picture, I received it through text message and this is how it uploaded to photobucket

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Wow ! That buck might have been shot on an open ranch, but I bet his genetics come from the other side of a high fence !

What an impressive deer.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
My oldest son Charles nailed this 10 point Saturday morning (11-10-12). It's been kinda warm here, but cooler

today. 31 in the morning and we'll be back at 'em.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Didn't have to bad a year this past season. Both my granddaughters killed their first deer and I got

two bucks. Still haven't killed a real good one though, but my oldest son didn't even see a deer!
Sissy with her first deer.

Camy christened the shop floor:

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
Great pictures everyone!
TopD, I have to ask where you got your orange brimmed hunting hat!? I have been looking for something like that and really like the looks of yours.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
great photos everyone.. Im not much of a hunter, due to the fact that I really have no reason to kill a big mammal. I do however fish all year long.. Great photos I must say. Here is a pic of a nice trout I caught a couple weeks ago fly fishing. This is as close as I can get to hunting I suppose!!
002-600x450.jpg

Feb 26, 2014
Want to share some pics of a few whitetails I was able to fill my freezer with over the past several years!

DSCN0197.jpg

2007 (I think lol)

Deer2007_1.jpg

DSCN0554.jpg

2013 (one of 2 was able to get last season)

PB040320.jpg

Feb 26, 2014
Going for Ducks and Geese has always been my prefered hunt and I think this picture I took years ago on the Rideau explains why.....
Sept262007_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.