PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

longshot

Might Stick Around
May 16, 2011
I've got two fishing trips coming in June... Pretty much can't wait, now that i've been reading this thread.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
There should be some pictures being posted up here, as everyone should be out catching fish during the spring feeding frenzy that's going on.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
We need somebody to start posting up pics of their summer fishing trips. :?
I've been hanging out at the Orvis shop this week(it's next door to the pipe shop), how convenient. Looks like I'm going to get back into it pretty soon.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
the beauty of the fly rod in saltwater is that you catch most everything with a few clousers and surface bugs.

all i ever use is mostly 10wt and sometimes 8wt, sink tip or floater. youre best off with saltwater rods and reels. need a stiff action and a good sealed drag on a four to four and a half inch reel for obvious good reason.

big red can easily run you into your backing and a mid to large tarpon a real possibility of spooling ya.

300-400 30# dacron. on a fly rod braid can cut your hand off on a big fish versus a bad burn and maybe a little blood. save the braid for the spinning reels.

when i get out on the oklawaha catch bass with jim tinney trout flies. he makes an excellent fly line. have several of them and they throw with the best of them.

ok, i'm done ramblin, your turn. :wink:

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
when i downloaded windows 7 (nice, like 7 better than xp, just not well versed or practiced with it, yet) i let it totally re-do everything, thusly had to start all over getting set up. i had an option to save what i wanted to but decided to let the installation down load and make a clean puter. i only had one pic of a 48" river musky and its gone :crying:

am hoping the better half gets an assinement in a state where i can use the long rod for musky and pike. will drive up towing boat to join her. will use my salt water flies and sw 10wt and probably a sink tip and clousers. hopefully will get some pics up there where ever that may turn out to be.

anonymous, with the kayak pics looks like he is fishing mosquito lagoon with the space center in the back ground.

mosquito and indian river lagoon are "the" top choice fishing destinations and lots of guides around there that really know the where to's and how to's. most guides the tackle whether fly cast or spin..too many over slot size reds to be caught there. some of the finest inshore fishing in the state of florida.
since this popped into my mind rather than usually popping out, will say this and quit rampling on.

i know alot guys are intimidated by braid whether on spin or casting. also by tying on a leader. what i do to connect braid to mono is an overkill slim beauty. will use a short leader, at most a foot long, about 40 or 60lb florocarbon,(prefer orvis lines) loop knot the other end and loop whatever lb. floro i want and loop knot to lure.

if you havent heard of it, Fins makes braids and i love their wind tammer line, it works. florida most of the time is windy on the water, i mean windy. have tried my best to get loop knots (where it wraps around rod tips and can cause loop like knots in the reel spool. into, across and down wind.

what alot of new braid users dont realize it takes alot less effort to set the hook and can easily harm the fish. am a c&r fisherman(catch and release) and will revive a tired out fish before release. if i want to eat fish it will be either at a restaurant or somebody who knows how to cook it.

if you are ever down here you really need to fish them atleast just once. well worth it.

ok, done ramblin, your turn. usless i think of something else. :wink:

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
oh i forgot something, like that's a big surprise.

we have a member here, nathaniel, is a guide out of titusville. right on top of both lagoons. dont have to worry too much about sharks, maybe a sand shark or two and the ocassional lagoon lizard and black tip. black tips can be fun to catch on lite tackle, they usually run between 5-7'. lagoon lizards i dont know about. have caught one and wasnt all that impressed.

touch base with him and he can fill you in better than i. the few im's we had, good impression. would find it very hard to believe he didnt know his stuff. am sure you would have a good time fishing with him.
have been wanting a shamano saragosa 4000 series. much better for the abuse id like to put it through. to do that i need to unload two 6500 ss metal penn spinners. one has 400 yards, give or take of 20lb pwr pro.

the other 200 yards of 20lb momoi's hi catch mono. neither one fished.

just hope the saragosa doesnt fall into that never fished class.

ok, ur turn.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
A couple nice bass from a local pond here in midcoast Maine.
NiceBass.jpg

buckeye

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 16, 2010
farm pond bass on my homemade baits.

http://youtu.be/HpPEGLZYFQI

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
Caught (and released) a couple of pikes yesterday:
IMAG0219.jpg

That's not me on the picture, by the way, but it's my pike :)

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Nice fish Nemrod !

I made it down to Galveston Island for a few days last week. Fished the 61st Street Pier two different nights from about 9 pm to 5 am. Met some interesting folk, and caught 100 or more trout (specs and sandtrout) both nights. Wound up with about 30 good size sandtrout and 8 speckled trout from 15-23 inches, but only got pics of these 3 specs from the first night fishing.

antiques003-1.jpg

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
nice spec's lonestar.
is the 61 st pier new?

last time in galveston (40 years ago) the only pier i knew of was an old wood with a mcdonalds size restaurant that had the best burgers, and drank my share of lonestar and coors. only went there for burgers and brews.
ling (cobia) beer batter deep fried is the best fish to grace my lips.

hope some day you get hooked up with one. are a blast to catch, as are tarpon :worship: :worship:

tight lines my friend!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Grouchy, that might have been the 61st St pier, no idea how long its been around. Its out on the end of one of the stone jetties that come off of the seawall, and theres a restaurant/bar on the second floor. I prefer the 1/4 mile long pier at 91st street, but it got wiped out by a hurricane a couple years ago, supposed to reopen next year.

I usually have some Ling in the freezer by this time of year, but I've been too broke to do any offshore fishing. I had a blast catching all those specs on light tackle, but nothing beats a 60# ling on 20#test 8O

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
would love to hook into one with an 8wt. 10wt would be a little more managable.

with all the canes galveston gets am suprised that old wood peer is still there. sure has stood the test of time.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
LOL Hobie.

Grouchy, I dont know that theres much you could do to a 60lb ling on 8lb line. I imagine its about like the machine at Academy spooling line off a reel. About 45 seconds of watching line shoot off the reel followed by a sudden snap when it reaches the end 8O

Maybe not, but damn a ling has got a whole lot of fight in him.

I caught a 40lber last year and we broke a wooden baseball bat over his head twice before he gave up.

Status
Not open for further replies.