Debate : Fine White Ash

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Some swear by fine white ash. Others say that fine white ash a myth.

I have been getting fine white ash quite consistently when I look at the pipe. However, when I dump the bowl, mixed with the dottle, it no longer looks white.

So at the end of the bowl, I took two pictures (Before and after tamping). Looks like fine white ash to me. What do you say?

Pipe: Sasieni Eight Dot Reigate
Tobacco: Watch City Simply Red

80B8EA39-3236-4566-B37B-65B2F6369D21.jpeg73625A40-6FE9-41CD-8876-003E172C44CE.jpeg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
For me, smoking a pipe is not a competition, real or imagined. White ash? I don't give it a thought. A gurgle now and then? Never a bother. Need to relight? I just apply a flame and get about my business. I do get it that some pipe smokers enjoy striving for the "perfect bowl." I simply want a reasonably enjoyable bowl smoldering nicely while I work or relax.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Well the thought on fine white ash in cigar lore is that the tobacco has a higher concentration of minerals. Specifically magnesium and calcium.

Lower concentration of minerals will yield a more acidic tasting tobacco. Higher concentrations of magnesium will make the ash flaky.

What does this have to do in the grand scheme of things…?

Not a whole hell of a lot in my opinion. ?

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I rarely even bother to look. If it happens, it happens. If not, that's fine, too.
Same here. I could care less. I smoke the bowl down to the point that I'm no longer enjoying it, then dump it. If there is some dottle left, oh well. As a younger man, I would try to smoke all of the tobacco in every bowl. Thankfully, I no longer care.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I don't think it's the color or texture of the ash that has been the center of the conversation. It's the fact that that's all that's left. Many new smokers read reviews that say "burned down to a fine white ash".
This leads a lot of people to believe that if you're leaving dottle in the bowl at the end of the smoke, you're doing it wrong. That the epitomy of pipe smoking experience is smoking down to nothing but a fine white ash. It can and does happen, but it's not something you should chase.

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
Here is my tuppence worth:

There are many blends that I love to smoke all the way until it won't light anymore, stirring the residue as needed.
Chief among these blends are Lakelands and fine virginias, which often give me new flavors as I smoke down.
It's sort of like Cajun cooking, so overcooked that a whole new set of flavors develop.
However, many heavy aromatics just don't over smoke well for me.

Given time and the right blend, leaving only an ash can be a good experience, regardless of its color.