PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
@gawithhoggarth , I’m sorry to see that you took a bit of a beating on this forum these past couple of days. I for one appreciate your presence and the presence of any blender brave enough to step inside this unpredictable arena. I for one actually enjoy hearing firsthand your struggles in business and how you overcome them. It gives me hope in my own business and let’s me know that I’m not alone. I also enjoy hearing your unique insight on the industry.

As a small business owner in the supply industry, I know with a fair amount of certainty the struggles you must have faced over the past 2-1/2 years. We (my company) were unable to get many products simply because one insignificant component was not available, and we had to tell our customers the same. No chemicals because there were no metal cans to put them in, no epoxies because there were no tubes to put the epoxy in, product rationing based on our purchase history even though we were willing and able to purchase more; and the list goes on. We watched as finished product spoiled on the dock for the want of a two cent plunger or the want of an extra employee (a labor shortage which continues to this day)…but I digress.

I very much appreciate your presence here and the fact that you freely, honestly and openly interact with us; and I’m sure many others feel the same. Please do not feel unwelcome here but if you ever do, feel free to take any of us to task. Even though we are your clients, you and your company bow to no one. Time has tested and proven this fact.

Sincerely,

Gam Zu L’Tovah (aka Bob Kitt)

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
@gawithhoggarth , I’m sorry to see that you took a bit of a beating on this forum these past couple of days. I for one appreciate your presence and the presence of any blender brave enough to step inside this unpredictable arena. I for one actually enjoy hearing firsthand your struggles in business and how you overcome them. It gives me hope in my own business and let’s me know that I’m not alone. I also enjoy hearing your unique insight on the industry.

As a small business owner in the supply industry, I know with a fair amount of certainty the struggles you must have faced over the past 2-1/2 years. We (my company) were unable to get many products simply because one insignificant component was not available, and we had to tell our customers the same. No chemicals because there were no metal cans to put them in, no epoxies because there were no tubes to put the epoxy in, product rationing based on our purchase history even though we were willing and able to purchase more; and the list goes on. We watched as finished product spoiled on the dock for the want of a two cent plunger or the want of an extra employee (a labor shortage which continues to this day)…but I digress.

I very much appreciate your presence here and the fact that you freely, honestly and openly interact with us; and I’m sure many others feel the same. Please do not feel unwelcome here but if you ever do, feel free to take any of us to task. Even though we are your clients, you and your company bow to no one. Time has tested and proven this fact.

Sincerely,

Gam Zu L’Tovah (aka Bob Kitt)
Quit sucking up.

Seriously, I’m amazed at every nonsense post.
I could rant, I won’t.
If you don’t count Semois, we’ve got two independent European houses who provide tobacco to the States regularly.
The rest are gone, either to history, or to the great Scandinavian neutering facility.
The blends are from the same Houses that have been making them for many many decades. They are truly unique, they’ve not been bought and moved and had the tin contents become unrecognizable while the label stays the same.
What part of this don’t people understand?

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Quit sucking up.
You mean I won’t be notified first about their next drop? Damn!

Seriously, though, unless a person has owned a manufacturing and/or supply company or has run one, they can never truly wrap their minds around the day to day logistics of getting a single product from point A to point B. I understood perfectly what Rachel was trying to say. From the point of manufacturing to the point distribution, so much can and will go wrong. The fact that we get any tobacco at all from this “outdated company” is a small miracle in itself. I wish more people understood this and by understanding, become more respectful.

I know…I know… high hopes and unicorns and all that…

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
You mean I won’t be notified first about their next drop? Damn!

Seriously, though, unless a person has owned a manufacturing and/or supply company or has run one, they can never truly wrap their minds around the day to day logistics of getting a single product from point A to point B. I understood perfectly what Rachel was trying to say. From the point of manufacturing to the point distribution, so much can and will go wrong. The fact that we get any tobacco at all from this “outdated company” is a small miracle in itself. I wish more people understood this and by understanding, become more respectful.

I know…I know… high hopes and unicorns and all that…
You’ve got the logistics and I’ve got the don’t fuck with my tobacco.
We’re covered.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I missed the other thread shenanigans and only now did I read through it.

I would have loved to have joined in. My vocabulary and bullshit meter are highly tuned.

Having missed my golden opportunity to piss down a leg I’m sorrowful

But I do love GH and their blends.

Us Americans are to blame for cellaring and estate collecting. I won’t apologize.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I missed the other thread shenanigans and only now did I read through it.

I would have loved to have joined in. My vocabulary and bullshit meter are highly tuned.

Having missed my golden opportunity to piss down a leg I’m sorrowful

But I do love GH and their blends.

Us Americans are to blame for cellaring and estate collecting. I won’t apologize.
BUT WATER AND UNSEALED TINS

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I'm sorry, I just can't help myself - I have a good friend in the local pipe club who is from Spain (but has made his home in the US for over a couple decades), and I couldn't help but hear the Spanish gentleman's ranting in my friends voice.
For a moment I even thought it was him!
It's definitely a cultural thing with their opinions.

elvishrunes

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2017
This thread and reading that bickering one convinced me to order some, I could only get Ennerdale, not some of there pure Va flakes, but it looks interesting,,, not pricey either. I thought maybe they were more hype, but I’m less believing that now.