PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Maybe it's the price point or the tobacco house that it comes from I don't know but I'm thankful it is still being produced and readily available. If it stays that way I'll always try to have some in my cellar.
It used to be pricey when compared to the market. But the way prices have gone up, it's come into the "normal" range.

I picked up a number of cans of 2013 from Steve at a very reasonable price when compared to some of the other tins he's selling.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Does anyone have any thoughts on how the Davidoff compares to Roper's Roundels (beyond red vs. yellow)? I just cracked my first tin of the Roper's this week, and so far, I like it a lot more than LBF with 3-4 years on it. It's actually pretty amazing just how different they are.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Does anyone have any thoughts on how the Davidoff compares to Roper's Roundels (beyond red vs. yellow)? I just cracked my first tin of the Roper's this week, and so far, I like it a lot more than LBF with 3-4 years on it. It's actually pretty amazing just how different they are.

I cracked my first tin of Roper's today, really like it. I never had LBF or flake medallions, but I find Roper's substantially dark and chewy, while DLNRs are brighter and sweeter

Jul 15, 2011
I've smoked both this and Escudo, and they run an extremely close race. Honestly, in a blind taste test, I don't know that I could differentiate one from the other. If memory serves me correctly, there was a period some years ago where the Davidoff became crazy hard to find. Hopefully that isn't the case nowadays, and I still have a couple of cans of both this and Escudo for when the mood strikes me. Both are delicious and great for those warm weather months when I'm outside pulling weeds or mowing the yard.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I've tried the Davidoff Flake Medallions once when a friend have me 2 coins to try. I liked it and found it to be very bready with only a bit of perique. I have one tin sitting around waiting to be opened. I would feel better if I had more so I will probably do something about that soon.

Jul 15, 2011
I've tried the Davidoff Flake Medallions once when a friend have me 2 coins to try. I liked it and found it to be very bready with only a bit of perique. I have one tin sitting around waiting to be opened. I would feel better if I had more so I will probably do something about that soon.

I think "bready" is probably the best description for both the Davidoff and the Escudo. Wait...is "bready" a word? Screw it, guess it is now. ;)

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Bread like?
I have yet to try escudo. I'm sure I will like it. I have a lot of PS Bullseye flake to smoke through in the mean time

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I recently purchased tins of 4 year aged Flake Medallions and they have been outstanding. Bready and sweet, with some baking spice.

I want to age the rest of the tins a bit longer to develop the deeper virginia notes. I'm hoping for dark bread, kind of like a dopplebock.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I recently purchased tins of 4 year aged Flake Medallions and they have been outstanding. Bready and sweet, with some baking spice.

I want to age the rest of the tins a bit longer to develop the deeper virginia notes. I'm hoping for dark bread, kind of like a dopplebock.

I have some 17 year old Flake Medallions I've been smoking lately. At this age the VA has turned black and tastes very much like stoved VA with some molasses notes. It's very smooth as you might expect but also much milder than before. Truthfully I prefer it younger. I remember it at five years and that was the sweet spot for my taste.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Funny thing is I get the bready but what I really get is quality leather. It reminds me of one of those wonderful leather chairs you expect to find in a wonderful private library. Something about it taste like class the only other pipe tobacco that hits me that way is Nat Shermans English blend.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Funny thing is I get the bready but what I really get is quality leather. It reminds me of one of those wonderful leather chairs you expect to find in a wonderful private library. Something about it taste like class the only other pipe tobacco that hits me that way is Nat Shermans English blend.
Agree. I get way more stewed fruits and leather as opposed to bready notes.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I have some 17 year old Flake Medallions I've been smoking lately. At this age the VA has turned black and tastes very much like stoved VA with some molasses notes. It's very smooth as you might expect but also much milder than before. Truthfully I prefer it younger. I remember it at five years and that was the sweet spot for my taste.
Age changes a blend, and depending on what a guy likes, not always for the better. I agree with you, I think there's a peak at 3 - 5 years for this kind of thing, then they begin to dull out a bit.

londonbriar

Lurker
Apr 17, 2019
London-ish, UK
I loved the tin of Davidoff Flake Medallions I had, years ago. I found it darker and richer than the Bulls Eye flake, but that might have been just time in the tin.

Status
Not open for further replies.