PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have almost a whole shelf of books by American authors, most of them are by David McCullough.

Such a great writer who really studied his subjects in depth before putting pen to paper. A great loss to the literary world but his works will be read by many generations not yet born.

Regards,

Jay.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I’m 59 and when my youngest son, who is now 22, was in High School, WW2 was taught in two paragraphs. That alone is troubling.
My daughter, aged 12, has not been taught anything regarding WW2, as of yet. I remedied that and began teaching her myself. To my surprise, she found it fascinating and is eager to learn more. I do not believe that we can depend on our educational system to properly teach American history.

Reactions: JOHN72 and edger

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I do not believe that we can depend on our educational system to properly teach American history".

And that is where folk such as Mr. McCullough come in, great writers such as he are excellent teachers that perhaps tread the ground that other more mainstream 'educators' (for McCullough was indeed an educator through his writings) dare not or will not tread.

Any enlightened household, especially one with children, should have these books sat there on the shelf ready for enquiring minds to seek them out.

Regards,

Jay.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Many people, very knowledgeable in history, strive to repeat many of the horrible past incidents without making the same mistakes. One can't change humans by simply writing histories. Many people strive for domination and try to improve on the methods used in the past. So, a good knowledge history can be a "double edged sword."

Despicable people can learn from previous incidents and strive to do better.

McCullough? Excellent at what he did, RIP. His tomes were always great reads.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have almost a whole shelf of books by American authors, most of them are by David McCullough.

Such a great writer who really studied his subjects in depth before putting pen to paper. A great loss to the literary world but his works will be read by many generations not yet born.

Regards,

Jay.
Assuming later generations still read...

Reactions: warren

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Many people, very knowledgeable in history, strive to repeat many of the horrible past incidents without making the same mistakes. One can't change humans by simply writing histories. Many people strive for domination and try to improve on the methods used in the past. So, a good knowledge history can be a "double edged sword."

Despicable people can learn from previous incidents and strive to do better.

McCullough? Excellent at what he did, RIP. His tomes were always great reads.
My simple and incontrovertible theory behind all human conflict:

People are loath to give up an unearned advantage.

Reactions: warren