PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
puff_not_snuff, don't be embarrassed. I resurrect people from time to time, recently Toni Morrison. I've been known to misspeak pipe brands, remembering my reference to Costello pipes, like Abbot and Costello ... I guess those were funny pipes. And then there were my safety concerns about the pick on the Czech pipe tool. I still roll my eyes ... about myself. Some days go that way. Your post remembers David Bowie, and that's not all bad.
Goodness yes. We're all human. We're all in this together, come what may.?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Bowie was one of my favorites. I saw him for the first time in the Boston Garden for the Thin White Duke Tour(summer of 76)what really amazed me was how low his voice really was, he used a number of back up singers to get the high notes for him.
I saw him for the last time in 83 when he was doing his stadium tours. It was quite the spectacle and the place went nuts when he began singing Let's Dance.

What most people don't realize is that Niles Rogers wrote most of Bowie;s biggest hits. Check out the band Chic and Nile Rodgers, dude had the beats coming out of his ass.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
No? I say nay on you - the guy was a genius - his musicality, he understood melody, verse- he was able to change his persona over five times - he was a marketer - he was also a great painter - A TOP NOTCH actor in films- He was a musical director and directed video/film he was a freind and well liked by most he had met. He was a GREAT performer overall. You must be living under a rock. You couldn't even come close to his level of acheivment, success, and mastery.

• Haha
Reactions: canucklehead

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
No? I say nay on you - the guy was a genius - his musicality, he understood melody, verse- he was able to change his persona over five times - he was a marketer - he was also a great painter - A TOP NOTCH actor in films- He was a musical director and directed video/film he was a freind and well liked by most he had met. He was a GREAT performer overall. You must be living under a rock. You couldn't even come close to his level of acheivment, success, and mastery.
Bro he didn't even write his songs or music, he was a mediocre actor at best, and he was a confirmed pedo. I don't want to speak ill of the dead here, but be at least somewhat objective in your adoration.

What ruined Bowie for me, were all of the rather large alternative chick wannabes of my youth all idolizing him. So, I just sorta placed him in a mental category outside of my preferences. Then, MTV and his dance stuff, "put on your red shoes and dance the blues" was just sorta not my style. I was more John Cougar, American guitar driven riffs sorta stuff. I always associated Bowie with Flock of Seagulls hair, weird gyrating dances, and probably some weird drugs that I just didn't understand.
It really wasn't until I revisited Space Oddity recently that I sort of appreciated him anew. I still have a hard time just looking at him in that Ziggy phase. I just never understood what was going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.