PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I used to really enjoy watching Dark Shadows with my dad back in the day. Great show, and like a true soap opera, it took forever to develop any sort of story, but was way more fun and intriguing than General Hospital or any of those other soaps.

It was on Hulu for a while and I tried watching a few episodes but it's incredibly slow moving compared to contemporary TV.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The original was way better than the Johnny Dep movie.
that's like saying hugs are better then being launched into the Sun. Well true it's a comical understatement. It's like saying that a gourmet meal at the best restaurant is fancier and tastier then a plate of feces. Or that a massage is more relaxing then having toothpicks shoved into your eyeballs. Or in other words the one is a classic and the other is a plate of feces that watching is as hard on the eyes as shoving toothpicks in there would be.

• Haha
Reactions: dcon and BROBS

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This was shown on ABC originally, daily like a soap opera. I used to come home from school and watch it.
So did I. You could always tell which kids watched Dark Shadows. We were the ones running home to get there in time to watch it.

The 1991 DS series was great. It should have had a longer run. I believe it was the first TV series to cost a million dollars an episode to film. At least I remember hearing that at the time.

The Johnny Depp movie was worse than Holly's Non Plus Ultra.

When they released all 1,220-some episodes on DVD, the case they used was a coffin. It sold for around $600. When Amazon had a one day sale for $225, m'lady, her mom, and my mother bought it for my Christmas present.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So did I. You could always tell which kids watched Dark Shadows. We were the ones running home to get there in time to watch it.

The 1991 DS series was great. It should have had a longer run. I believe it was the first TV series to cost a million dollars an episode to film. At least I remember hearing that at the time.

The Johnny Depp movie was worse than Holly's Non Plus Ultra.

When they released all 1,220-some episodes on DVD, the case they used was a coffin. It sold for around $600. When Amazon had a one day sale for $225, m'lady, her mom, and my mother bought it for my Christmas present.
that box set is awesome. And a great deal. Seriously I did the math it's a deal per dvd. And when you have the dvd's in their cases in the coffin box it makes a Barnabus Collins in the coffin. It's one of my prized possessions. If there is a house fire I'll grab the cat, the Meer and that box set. In that order.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That is Days of Our Lives. When you grew up on a farm in the 60s and you only got 3 channels on your family’s B/W (that is black and white for you youngsters) TV on a good day, you knew all of the soaps.
Oh I know. It’s just the one I always remember finishing up and seeing the ending with the globe and the superimposed hourglass as they voice said that.
then Duck Tales or Rescue Rangers came on and all was good.

redrooster1977

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2020
Y
Not at all. When the Syfy channel first launched in the '90s, they marathoned the entire series. I really enjoyed it and was surprised how long it originally aired. The content seemed off for the time period considering how quickly the original Star Trek was canceled. There was a 1991 reboot of Dark Shadows that was really good too. The actor playing Barnabas in the reboot, Ben Cross, sadly passed away last month.

View attachment 42175
Your right, that one was pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.