Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
I sent this today to:
Got the email address off STG website.

torben.sand@st-group.com

Dear Sir,
I have been a loyal smoker of Sir Walter Raleigh regular for many years. I still have some USA made product but wanted to renew my supply. I have heard from a close friend when he opened the 7ounce tin a very strong and nose burning smell of vinegar was present. He had three canisters all the same, un-smokable to him. I asked the question on a pipe forum about heavy, strong vinegar smell and if anyone has noticed it in the STG version. A lot of complaints have come back confirming the strong, overwhelming smell and taste of vinegar. Is this the current method of production? If so, I'm afraid I'll have to find another brand of tobacco as this is unacceptable and was never present in the USA made product.
Sincerely,

Last edited:

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I've got a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh regular on the way from SmokingPipes that should be here by the end of the week, so I'll report back when it arrives as to whether or not I got a vinegar bombed pouch. I'm hoping I'll get a good batch without the vinegar, but after reading all the reports around here regarding the current production SWR I'm not overly optimistic.

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Whelp, I got my pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh regular in the mail from SmokingPipes this afternoon, cracked it open, and gave it a sniff. Now I'm not sure exactly what Sir Walter Raleigh is supposed to smell like, having never had it before, but this tobacco smells like it was soaked in enough vinegar that you could dip a hushpuppy in it. There is a tiny bit of chocolate aroma as well, but it's about 95% straight vinegar for the tin note.

It certainly doesn't smell like something I'd want to put in a pipe and smoke, but I'll be brave and give it a try later tonight or tomorrow to see how much of the pungent vinegar aroma comes through in the flavor when smoked. If you don't hear back from me afterwards then assume I have met the fate of many a king's royal food tasters. 🤢

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Well, at least I got a response. Unfortunately, it was that, since I live in Canada, I should contact the Canadian branch of STG. However, since the Canadian branch of STG doesn't import SWR, I can guess what the response would be.

Over to a willing US consumer 🤞🤞!
The stuff is made in DK, they are the ones to answer the inquiry. Unless they don’t care about their customers.

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
Well, I sent a email to DK from STG website on Monday, no response yet. I think we should also send complaints to where we purchase it, maybe they could assist.