PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
27FEB2024

I really enjoy SWR regular, every day smoke for me mixed with Perique. I'm still working on my last tubs of USA made. My question is has anyone noticed the very strong vinegar smell in the Danish made SWR? I have a friend a few months back purchased several Danish 7 ounce tins with a terrible vinegar smell and I noticed a post here about customer service that was complaining of the same issue. Anyone else notice this in Danish SWR.

Last edited:

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I've got a pouch of the new stuff and it does have a whiff of a vinegar note but nothing bad. I don't remember that in the US production but it has been a few years (maybe 10 or so) since I smoked it.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
27FEB2024

I really enjoy SWR regular, every day smoke for me mixed with Perique. I'm still working on my last tubs of USA made. My question is has anyone noticed the very strong vinegar smell in the Danish made SWR? I have a friend a few months back purchased several Danish 7 ounce tins with a terrible vinegar smell and I noticed a post here about customer service that was complaining of the same issue. Anyone else notice this in Danish SWR.
I have not noted this.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I have 4 14oz cans that are all marked "made in the United States". No vinegar smell.

I've used this as a change of pace smoke for over 50 years. It's a shame but due to the outrageous rise in price, when I need more I'll be looking for an alternative. puffy

Reactions: Reggie

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
I have 4 14oz cans that are all marked "made in the United States". No vinegar smell.

I've used this as a change of pace smoke for over 50 years. It's a shame but due to the outrageous rise in price, when I need more I'll be looking for an alternative. puffy
I have not tried the Danish either. I was looking for some feedback before purchasing. If you find an alternative please let me know. It's a shame they had to change an American classic.

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
I'm not positive but I think about the time of the 7 ounce cans came out. Sadly, I don't believe any of the currently produced OTC codger blends are made in good old U.S.A. any longer.When Carter Hall went over seas I switched to SWR, then they deserted us. What this country needs is a good $25/lb burley codger blend:)

Last edited:

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I'm not positive but I think about the time of the 7 ounce cans came out. Sadly, I don't believe any of the currently produced OTC codger blends are made in good old U.S.A. any longer.When Carter Hall went over seas I switched to SWR, then they deserted us. What this country needs is a good $25/lb burley codger blend:)

You need to contact @Briar Lee

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Might Stick Around
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
27FEB2024

Your friend should count himself lucky, in that he was able to smell the horrid stench.

Warning:
There was no errant smell or any other sign of something being amiss with the pouch of
Sir Walter Raleigh (Made in Denmark) that I just had the misfortune of encountering.
It was nothing less than the most acrid vinegar taste that one could imagine. Horrible.

Reactions: Briarcutter

grimpeur

Lurker
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
I've (lots) of Granger in the tub, and SWR pouches: they're both great. Granger is improved, SWR is what it always was. There are a number of burley blends by both Mac Baren and STG that are good 'uns; wish Singleton flake was available here. That is to say: they know stuff.

I have to say though, whoever changed the dog on the tin of Granger to a non-pointing dog is a dolt...posed right over the motto of "a pointer on fine tobacco". Smh.

Reactions: yanoJL

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I recently (this winter) bought a half dozen pouches of SWR, current Danish production. The first pouch I opened had a quite strong vinegar smell which I noticed and thought was odd, I never remember smelling vinegar in SWR. It smoked ok, but I could taste a vinegar note throughout the bowl. I tried drying it out and it got rid of some of the vinegar smell and taste but not completely. I opened all the pouches and they were all the same. I really liked SWR, but if this is indicative of the new production I doubt I will buy it any more.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Is the aromatic also FUBARed? Anyone know? If so, another favorite of mine bites the dust. I'm just getting over the loss of Walnut and am starting to take this b.s. personally.
The last pouch I got from P&C was a little dry and some of the flavor had evaporated, but it still tastes good. It's been years since I smoked it, but it tastes more or less the way I remember it.