PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes that's the dispute I filed and I got it reduced to $900 with my explanation. Now I don't think that this is all entirely accurate or makes sense to me and I'll tell you why... For cigars, If I'm home when they try to deliver I have been able to get the goods and pay nothing, no Duty. But if I'm not home that's when it gets sent to the post office and they file the paperwork and I get hit with Duty. For pipes, never really had an issue until now with this Jess Chonowitsch, had to pay $1050 Duty. I don't know what will happen to the next ones, maybe I'm now flagged with red signals all over.. I'll find out soon enough. I work for the government too so I never want to break any laws but I sure wish Duty wasnt so crazy here...
There's no flagging system, at least not yet. It is all luck of the draw for now, though as I say a very large dollar value item like the pipe will almost always result in taxes being assessed. I try to keep the value of any orders down below about $400CAD to keep them from snooping, but as I say it still results in getting "caught" about 35% of the time.

Until tobacco is made illegal to import or own you're not breaking any laws. Its the CBSA's job to assess the taxes, if they miss your package its not your problem - its theirs!

Reactions: jpmcwjr and seanv

Smoke Queen

Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There's no flagging system, at least not yet. It is all luck of the draw for now, though as I say a very large dollar value item like the pipe will almost always result in taxes being assessed. I try to keep the value of any orders down below about $400CAD to keep them from snooping, but as I say it still results in getting "caught" about 35% of the time.

Until tobacco is made illegal to import or own you're not breaking any laws. Its the CBSA's job to assess the taxes, if they miss your package its not your problem - its theirs!
Yes that's what happened a few times they missed some of them so I didn't have to pay anything.. well, I'll just move away one day then ???

Smoke Queen

Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Both fine places to live, but sadly, their negatives outweigh their advantages. Palm Springs is spooky clean and almost like a Hollywood set. San Diego, now that city trumps us. Possibly the beat place to live in the Northern Hemisphere. My wife and I have thought about getting a boat to live on. Much cheaper that even the cheapest home and the fees are about $750 a month or so. The weather- on any given day is 74.
Sounds so nice!

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
just the pipe and the Duty was 1050$ for this pipe
That's insane. Granted it's not as bad as one might think based on percentage (although there's a huge margin of error here) but still.

I guess I'm lucky to live in a state that allows me to order a fair amount of tobacco (and alcohol) without issue. I'd have to order so much that it would be obvious I was operating some sort of commercial/retail venture before it would be an issue.

I order pipes, tobacco, and alcohol from all over the world and the only issue I ever run into is having to pay more to have items shipped via private carrier and even this really only applies to alcohol.

Only one time have I ever had to pay taxes and that was when I brought back 9 bottle of tequila. Even then the tax was only like $1.98 and it was a BATFE tax not customs.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I was in the cigar game I lived in Rhode Island and there were no issues getting my Cuban cigars in. The only people I had to deal with was the feds. Over the years I had around 6 seizures. My vendors always covered the loss. I was buying from places in Hong Kong, Beirut Lebanon, Gibraltar, Switzerland, Spain, Australia, and a few other places. It was so long ago I am forgetting a few places. A few times I got a customs stamp from Fedex for maybe 10 bucks. It was pretty weird as they didn't do it very often.

When I got into the pipe game, I was buying Castello's from a guy in Italy named Agide. The prices were so cheap as that was when the Euro just came into being and a Collection 4K was only 220 or so. I never had to pay any duty. Synjeco was selling the real Three Nuns for maybe 6 bucks a tin and I was a moron for not loading up.

Smoke Queen

Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
That's insane. Granted it's not as bad as one might think based on percentage (although there's a huge margin of error here) but still.

I guess I'm lucky to live in a state that allows me to order a fair amount of tobacco (and alcohol) without issue. I'd have to order so much that it would be obvious I was operating some sort of commercial/retail venture before it would be an issue.

I order pipes, tobacco, and alcohol from all over the world and the only issue I ever run into is having to pay more to have items shipped via private carrier and even this really only applies to alcohol.

Only one time have I ever had to pay taxes and that was when I brought back 9 bottle of tequila. Even then the tax was only like $1.98 and it was a BATFE tax not customs.
Luckyyyyyy!!! Not here, Canada is very strict and taxes alcohol and tobacco like crazzyyy ?

Smoke Queen

Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
When I was in the cigar game I lived in Rhode Island and there were no issues getting my Cuban cigars in. The only people I had to deal with was the feds. Over the years I had around 6 seizures. My vendors always covered the loss. I was buying from places in Hong Kong, Beirut Lebanon, Gibraltar, Switzerland, Spain, Australia, and a few other places. It was so long ago I am forgetting a few places. A few times I got a customs stamp from Fedex for maybe 10 bucks. It was pretty weird as they didn't do it very often.

When I got into the pipe game, I was buying Castello's from a guy in Italy named Agide. The prices were so cheap as that was when the Euro just came into being and a Collection 4K was only 220 or so. I never had to pay any duty. Synjeco was selling the real Three Nuns for maybe 6 bucks a tin and I was a moron for not loading up.
Oh myyy.. well, I'm not so lucky here with these taxes, it is insane ??

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Beautiful Jess, CAQ. So, do the Castellos get less smoke time with Danes on the pipe rack? I ask becauseI added some Stanwells (so lightweight and far cheaper as we all know :), then I began to love the shapes after reading about them here on the forum. Then, continuing down that road--I have found the Castellos getting less smoking time. The Danish ones are just such a joy to clench with my old jaw muscles LOL. And I wonder how long I'll keep the Castellos :)) LOL

As for the extra expenses you write about, I'm astounded. I read posts from many hear where prices of taxes and extra fees are discussed and am still astounded what's happening. I don't know why I expect something else--it's just new to me, I suppose. Astounding! I hope these big fees weren't a surprise--if so, and that was me, it would cause me some tossing and turning and frustration when I try to go to sleep!
kindly
mike

• Love
Reactions: Smoke Queen

Smoke Queen

Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Jess, CAQ. So, do the Castellos get less smoke time with Danes on the pipe rack? I ask becauseI added some Stanwells (so lightweight and far cheaper as we all know :), then I began to love the shapes after reading about them here on the forum. Then, continuing down that road--I have found the Castellos getting less smoking time. The Danish ones are just such a joy to clench with my old jaw muscles LOL. And I wonder how long I'll keep the Castellos :)) LOL

As for the extra expenses you write about, I'm astounded. I read posts from many hear where prices of taxes and extra fees are discussed and am still astounded what's happening. I don't know why I expect something else--it's just new to me, I suppose. Astounding! I hope these big fees weren't a surprise--if so, and that was me, it would cause me some tossing and turning and frustration when I try to go to sleep!
kindly
mike
No...I have always known about the prices and taxes on tobacco here in Canada, so no surprise on that. I just wondered more about how it is for all the rest of you guys out there. And yes, it's interesting you said that about the clenching of this pipe! As I said in the post it's so comfortable! I love to clench so I couldn't believe how light and comfortable it feels when I smoke it! Mike macaroni are you sure you're not my evil twin? You and I seem to have very similar tastes! ?

Smoke Queen

Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
That’s a fantastic Jess, and one of the finest pipes you can buy ?

Here is mine - With 360 degree straight grain.
Knowing what Jess Chonowitsch pipes cost, I would say that duty is very very reasonable.

View attachment 94275
Oh my word... What a beautiful Jess you have too! Thank you for sharing it here!! I really love these pipes! They're marvelous! I was just telling Mike @macaroni how amazingly it smokes and he's got one too, he mentioned it's not heavy for clenching. I thought the same thing as soon as I started clenching I noticed how light and easy on the jaw it is. I have some really heavy pipes.. we should have us a Jess Chonowitsch pipe party one day ??????

Reactions: cshubhra

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I guess so but for sure there are definitely more tobacco friendly places than Canada, with nicer weather too ??
You can always move to Sydney, Oz. :)

The weather is great, except in the height of summer. And there is water (Sydney Harbour) all around. ?

It is multicultural with great food. I have a German acquaintance who moved back to Germany after several years living&working in Sydney. She always feels homesick for Sydney whenever she has a hankering for seafood ! And you get great coffee :coffee: everywhere.

Taxes - not so great. Tobacco, if anything, is more expensive than in Canada. Pipe tobacco is a prohibited import, unless you have a "Licence To Import Tobacco for Personal Consumption". Duty is AUD$1.50 per gram (@AUD$750 for 2 oz) :eek::cry:

There is no tax on pipes (regardless of cost) unless purchased on EBay, when a 15% GST(Goods&Services Tax) is levied.

And the tax on wine and spirits makes me want to cry when I see how little the same bottle costs in the States. :mad:

But hey, you can't have everything, even in paradise. ;)

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I'm born and raised in LA, and lived there the first 30 years of my life. I moved 5+ years ago, to the mountains about an hour to the north, and I'm glad I did. I've never been to Toronto, but to swap it for LA...just my opinion, but that'd probably create just as many problems as it solves. Not the least of which is Maple Leafs to Kings! ?

Come to think of it, with the state the world is in, I wouldn't want to live in any urban area. My parents live in Marin county, just north of SF. They had their catalytic converter stolen overnight back in May, a year after a string of car break-ins on a nearby street. No bueno! And like LA, probably a pretty anemic selection of tobacconists to choose from.

Smoke Queen

Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You can always move to Sydney, Oz. :)

The weather is great, except in the height of summer. And there is water (Sydney Harbour) all around. ?

It is multicultural with great food. I have a German acquaintance who moved back to Germany after several years living&working in Sydney. She always feels homesick for Sydney whenever she has a hankering for seafood ! And you get great coffee :coffee: everywhere.

Taxes - not so great. Tobacco, if anything, is more expensive than in Canada. Pipe tobacco is a prohibited import, unless you have a "Licence To Import Tobacco for Personal Consumption". Duty is AUD$1.50 per gram (@AUD$750 for 2 oz) :eek::cry:

There is no tax on pipes (regardless of cost) unless purchased on EBay, when a 15% GST(Goods&Services Tax) is levied.

And the tax on wine and spirits makes me want to cry when I see how little the same bottle costs in the States. :mad:

But hey, you can't have everything, even in paradise. ;)
Woww Sydney has crazy laws for tobacco too but now I want to at least go there for vacation!!! I've always wanted to go there and I know one day I will ?

Reactions: OzPiper and jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sydney Harbour alone is with the trip! It is outstanding and I've lived in NYC and San Francisco, with good waterfronts, but not tops. LA harbor is a mess. Seattle is ok, and Tampa, FL is impressive.

PS- Queen: You just click on a person's avatar and their location will show up. Well, that is if they've been arsed to add it!

Smoke Queen

Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sydney Harbour alone is with the trip! It is outstanding and I've lived in NYC and San Francisco, with good waterfronts, but not tops. LA harbor is a mess. Seattle is ok, and Tampa, FL is impressive.

PS- Queen: You just click on a person's avatar and their location will show up. Well, that is if they've been arsed to add it!
Thank you for the info good to know! ?

Smoke Queen

Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm born and raised in LA, and lived there the first 30 years of my life. I moved 5+ years ago, to the mountains about an hour to the north, and I'm glad I did. I've never been to Toronto, but to swap it for LA...just my opinion, but that'd probably create just as many problems as it solves. Not the least of which is Maple Leafs to Kings! ?

Come to think of it, with the state the world is in, I wouldn't want to live in any urban area. My parents live in Marin county, just north of SF. They had their catalytic converter stolen overnight back in May, a year after a string of car break-ins on a nearby street. No bueno! And like LA, probably a pretty anemic selection of tobacconists to choose from.
Every place has its pros and cons I'm sure and Toronto is not horrible, I don't want to seem unappreciative but honestly these smoking laws are horrible here... But when it comes to weed no problem! You can get weed at every corner and people are smoking it everywhere. Then tobacco smokers many times we're told to move because we cause too much smoke (mainly with cigars).

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Now that's a high-end pipe, with high-end customs to go with it. I miss our former high-end pipe people, the late fish'n'banjo, and peck, who isn't posting these days. Every week one or both of them had collector pipes to show, though fish' had some at every price level. I don't know, giving up a government job in Canada, in a thriving city like Toronto might not be a good swap. Coastal areas are all having rising water problems, as are islands. Maybe just vacation with your family or elsewhere in the south. This will not solve your pipe import taxes, but as the old song goes, "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone."

Reactions: Smoke Queen