PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I have a few forever stems for my cob pipes, but i don’t really need them.

I like MM’s plastic stems. The plastic stems are easy for me to clench maybe because of the tooth marks I’ve made.

The plastic stems are disposable. I’ve bought plenty of extra stems, mostly cause I’m too lazy to clean them as I go. Cleaning stems just slows me down, so I toss the dirty stem aside for later and stick a clean one on the pipe.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'd like to get a Dagner. I've got those C&D MM pipes. Both are great.
My problem with the Forever stems is the price. I can buy a Dagner or another C&D MM pipe for the same price.

Reactions: marlinspike

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
Great looking pipe. Dagner Cob ($25) plus Forever Stem ($30) is an expensive corn cob pipe. I like cobs, just not that much.

tobaccoroad

Lurker
Jul 5, 2018
The Dagner Cob comes with an acrylic stem. As do some of the newer remakes like Cobbit series and Freehands. The new cobs like the Charles Towne Cobbler and Carolina Gent do as well. So there's really no need to purchase a forever stem unless you want a different color or like Frank said above, a different length or shape, ie., make that nosewarmer longer.
I believe it's only a matter of time before acrylic stems are standard on all MM cobs, or at the least an option. Pure speculation on my part, but I also believe we'll see a Corndog for next year's 150th year.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
tobaccoroad, good point. You don't need a Forever stem with the MM cobs made with acrylic stems. I outfitted several of my MM cobs with Forever stems before there were any offers (that I knew about) for MM"s with acrylic or vulcanite stems. I like the Forever stems for their uniqueness, but the ones that come on the special edition pipes are excellent to me. So unless you must customize, the Dagner and Charles Towne etc. are good at their MM website prices.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
Sorry to be a thread necromancer, but I would like to ask about your long term experiences with this pipe. Is it a long-lasting cob? What type of tobacco do you prefer to smoke in it? I find cob pipes ugly, but this one is somehow attractive. I have read that it gurgles terribly for some folks. Are there any issues for you? An author, twain, outlaw, cobbit or legend would be a better choice? How fast does it warm through? I don't have any cobs nor ever tried one, so I would start with this. Until now I had only briars and some hardwood (pear) and most of them worked great, although hardwood gets hot faster for me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is it a long-lasting cob?
Aren't they all? I've got a couple of cobs that are over a decade old.
What type of tobacco do you prefer to smoke in it?
Any
I have read that it gurgles terribly for some folks.
How does one make a cob gurgle? They're like a sponge.
An author, twain, outlaw, cobbit or legend would be a better choice?
Depends on your pipe size preference. The Dagner is a terribly short nose warmer.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
Aren't they all? I've got a couple of cobs that are over a decade old.
Thank you for the answers. I don't know, I have never had a cob before, but it is good to know that they can last for decades.
How does one make a cob gurgle? They're like a sponge.
Again, I don't know, I have just read opinions like these. 3 persons write here: https://aristocob.com/DAGNER-POKER-COB-Missouri-Meerschaum-Corn-Cob-Pipe-P5601323.aspx
Thank you for the answers again, I have no problem with a shorter pipe, maybe it is worth a try especially for this low price.

One more question: How long is the "resting time" for a cob? Similar to a briar?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Pictures please! [;)]

banjo

Here you go. Pics of the Dagner Poker and Devil Anse Cobs. I love them both. Very cool cobs.
vBnxKsy.jpg

lWVXr2F.jpg

edmEQA5.jpg

Reactions: Tom Sawtooth

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I can't find any mention of the devil anse being a Dagner.

You are correct, Duane! I stand corrected. I thought the Devil was a Dagner, but it turns out it is just a MM special. I got both from the Danish Pipe Shop 2 years ago. Here are the links.
https://www.danishpipeshop.com/d/Corn-Cob-Pipe-Little-Devil-Acorn-i212.html
https://www.danishpipeshop.com/d/Dagner-Poker-Cob-Pipe-i119.html

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I have five cobs and several dozen nice briar pipes and I find myself smoking the cobs as often as the briars. I love the way they smoke. Cobs are very forgiving pipes. They smoke cool and do not seem to require any resting times between smokes. If they have cooled from the last smoke they are ready for the next. A cob can be carried around and smoked all day without getting wet or sour. I do not have the Dagner but plan to add one soon. I have one forever stem that I got from Walker and like the looks of it very much but agree that it is a little pricey. My current favorite is the Apple Diplomat with a curved acrylic stem. It is a nice size and has an attractive shape. I would have to admit that although some of my briars are wonderful pipes, if I were restricted to only one pipe it would probably be a cob.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You are correct, Duane! I stand corrected. I thought the Devil was a Dagner, but it turns out it is just a MM special.
I thought it might have been and went looking. I got one of the Little Devil Cutty cobs a year or so back myself and couldn't remember if it was or not.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
daniel7, I think you will be pleasantly surprised and won over by this little pipe.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
Thanks, mso! I don't have too high expectations, I'm just hoping for a good everyday smoker. If it will not gurgle or whistle, then it's a win. If it gives more, then it would be fantastic. Do you prefer any special type of tobacco in your cobs? Or they work with everything, like briars?

Status
Not open for further replies.