PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My MM Dagner Poker cob is a great smoker. It's dedicated to Molto Dolce and Exotic Passion. I'm smoking a bowl of Molto Dolce now.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
MM Dagner is my first cob pipe. I tried it yesterday. It was awful. It became hot very fast and it added a weird taste to the tobacco. Maybe with time when some cake will grow in it, it will be better, but now I don't want to smoke it again for a while. At least I like the appearance of it.

This is it:

T1VUnWH.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
That weird taste could have just been the coating on the inside or even just the virgin cob flavor that you're not quite accustomed to tasting in any other pipe. As far as getting too hot too fast, it could have been packed too tight for the cob.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
That weird taste could have just been the coating on the inside or even just the virgin cob flavor that you're not quite accustomed to tasting in any other pipe. As far as getting too hot too fast, it could have been packed too tight for the cob.
I think I have just not used to the taste of it. It needs to be packed less tight than a briar?

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Sometimes the first few smokes do, just until you get it broken in. I typically keep it with some simple tobacco for the first few smokes, like CH or something OTC. I will usually just burn light bowls of CH through my new cobs for a while and can usually tell when I'm ready to move on, but my newest, the 2019 Bully, was loaded with Black Frigate for the first smoke and it did great. I'd just try to light pack it a bit more than you normally do for a briar, at lease for the first few bowls. Once you get a coating, not necessarily thick cake, but just when the inside turns black all the way down, you won't have much of that cob or wood burning taste any longer.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
Sometimes the first few smokes do, just until you get it broken in. I typically keep it with some simple tobacco for the first few smokes, like CH or something OTC. I will usually just burn light bowls of CH through my new cobs for a while and can usually tell when I'm ready to move on, but my newest, the 2019 Bully, was loaded with Black Frigate for the first smoke and it did great. I'd just try to light pack it a bit more than you normally do for a briar, at lease for the first few bowls. Once you get a coating, not necessarily thick cake, but just when the inside turns black all the way down, you won't have much of that cob or wood burning taste any longer.
Thanks for the advices, I will continue with it... one day. I burnt Orlik golden sliced in it, so a quite regular tobacco. It is usually good for break-in, at least for briars. I hope this ugly bastard will be a good smoker once. :lol:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
When those first came out, it was said by a few that the draw was tight and that the smoke-ability improved once they'd drilled it open to 5/32. The non filtercobs can be tight that way, specially if your used to smoking a filter cob w/o the filter.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
When those first came out, it was said by a few that the draw was tight and that the smoke-ability improved once they'd drilled it open to 5/32. The non filtercobs can be tight that way, specially if your used to smoking a filter cob w/o the filter.
I haven't used to any type of cob, as this is my first. But I smoke all of my pipes without a filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.