PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

msattler

Lurker
Apr 11, 2019
Iowa
Bummer. Definitely would have bought pipe #3 out of the three. Maybe #2.
If I'm not mistaken that shape or style is known as a Hunter pipe.
Although those pipes look like they were made to be smoked, the Hunter pipe shape is also used for German tourist novelty items.

Hope #1 cleans up and smokes well.
Me no like vulcanite stems due to the discoloration.

For #3 I would have put a high bid of $51.50 if I really wanted that shape [snipers tend to put either a round figure like $50 or a dollar extra at $51 so going $51.50 knocks those snipers off]
If a sniper wants to pay more then let them have it and wait for the next one that comes along.
Solid advice! I got number 3 as well. I am letting Puffaluffagus get his pipe (not bidding out of respect), and I am hoping to see it cleaned up with a review. I need to take pictures of number 1. I got the bowl cleaned, the mold out, I just have to and the stem. The thing is incredibly stout. It feels like holding a stone. I think you'd get a jaw ache if you tried to just hold it with your teeth, which would explain why there is zero chatter marks. I did make the mistake of using paragon wax... I had to take Murphy's oil to it to get it out of the rustification. I hit it again with Hapalo II and it looks great.

• Wow
Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Solid advice! I got number 3 as well. I am letting Puffaluffagus get his pipe (not bidding out of respect), and I am hoping to see it cleaned up with a review. I need to take pictures of number 1. I got the bowl cleaned, the mold out, I just have to and the stem. The thing is incredibly stout. It feels like holding a stone. I think you'd get a jaw ache if you tried to just hold it with your teeth, which would explain why there is zero chatter marks. I did make the mistake of using paragon wax... I had to take Murphy's oil to it to get it out of the rustification. I hit it again with Hapalo II and it looks great.
Mould? In the bowl?
Shit man, I'd be real cautious and make absolutely, positively certain that the mould is completely eradicated.
You don't want to be inhaling anything nasty.

I'd fill the bowl with salt and alcohol, soak it for 24 hours . . . then set the thing on fire. :eek:
Well setting it on fire may be a bit over-the-top but a good soak with alcohol should do the trick.
Then leave it to dry for several days just to be certain that the mould wont grow back.

Looking forward to seeing the pics when it's ready to smoke.

Would not ever buy a pipe with tooth chatter. It would be a constant reminder that it had lingered in another blokes mouth. :oops:

Reactions: msattler

msattler

Lurker
Apr 11, 2019
Iowa
Mould? In the bowl?
Shit man, I'd be real cautious and make absolutely, positively certain that the mould is completely eradicated.
You don't want to be inhaling anything nasty.

I'd fill the bowl with salt and alcohol, soak it for 24 hours . . . then set the thing on fire. :eek:
Well setting it on fire may be a bit over-the-top but a good soak with alcohol should do the trick.
Then leave it to dry for several days just to be certain that the mould wont grow back.

Looking forward to seeing the pics when it's ready to smoke.

Would not ever buy a pipe with tooth chatter. It would be a constant reminder that it had lingered in another blokes mouth. :oops:
I soaked it with kosher salt and rum for 2 days and it is drying out now. It's next to my gun vault with a dehumidifier running, so the room is fairly dry. Knock on wood that it doesn't come back! I am going to pick up the strongest isopropyl alcohol I can find though. I have gotten into the pipe restoration, and all of my pipes are estate pipes. Unfortunately the tooth chatter is unavoidable. I have found that super glue and 2 part epoxy are my friend lol

Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I soaked it with kosher salt and rum for 2 days and it is drying out now. It's next to my gun vault with a dehumidifier running, so the room is fairly dry. Knock on wood that it doesn't come back! I am going to pick up the strongest isopropyl alcohol I can find though. I have gotten into the pipe restoration, and all of my pipes are estate pipes. Unfortunately the tooth chatter is unavoidable. I have found that super glue and 2 part epoxy are my friend lol
There was a story that I read on a pipe forum, maybe it was here, quite some time ago.
I'm unable to recall exact details or if it was an urban myth or not but for what it's worth it went something like this;

There was a pipe that was really really rank that kept regrowing mould after several alcohol treatments.
It was eventually discovered that the pipe had remained in the mouth of it's owner after he had died sitting in his lounge chair.
As his body slowly decomposed, fluids oozed from his mouth into the pipe, soaking it with the foul detritus. :eek:

I've got several estates in my rotation. All were bought on ebay auctions for bargain prices from dealers who had professionally cleaned them. All had been lightly used and had stems that were like new.
Smokers are free to do as they please with their pipes of course but if they're in the habit of chewing on the stems I'm certainly not going to reward that nasty habit by spending my hard earned on them once they're done with them. puffy