PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’ve always thought of fold/stuff and cube cutting as the two ways to smoke a flake that keeps the tobacco in its compressed form, leading to a slower and cooler burn. I’m also kind of an idiot, so who cares what I think?

When I smoke cube cuts (as packaged or cut by me), I’m out of the mainstream by tending to pack them pretty tight, but only if they are quite dry and therefore firm. That’s definitely against conventional wisdom, but it’s always worked best for me. Ridicule is encouraged

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For a few years I was cube cutting almost all of my blends. The only time folded and stuffed was when I smoked outside which wasn't often.It was mostly the Samuel Gawith Flakes and the Peterson flakes that gave me the most trouble as they were thicker.
Practicing a fold and stuff with Capstan Blue, Aylesbury Luxury Flake, Rotary Navy Cut and more led me to perfect a fold and stuff method that works for me. What they had in common was they were all nicely shaped, thin and soft.

Once I had perfected my method on those flakes I branched out to all my other flakes and can even fold and stuff my SG flakes.

I think the second best way to smoke a flake is to cube cut into good size squares and enjoy the bowl.
'I always found a cube cut would smoke cooler and with more flavor than a rub out.

One thing is for sure, there is no right or wrong way. You do what gives you a great smoke and enjoy it.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I've messed around with cube cutting with mixed results.. it seems to work better with some flakes than others. I've found that with many flakes I really like square cutting and stacking, similar to the way I smoke ropes and curlies/small coins; stack o' flapjacks style!

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I cube cut flakes exclusively at this point and have no issues with flavor/draw.

I've gotten to where I only cube cut or fold and stuff flakes. It wasn't intentional, I just tried to find the method that gave me the best result with each individual flake, and it never seems to be rubbing it out. But now I've developed this "flakes were born flakes and shouldn't be changed" attitude, just to have something to be snooty about.

Reactions: krizzose and rushx9

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
My newly derived method (well, new to me) is to loosely pull a flake apart into strands, let them air dry for 2-6 hours depending on the feel (4-ish hours seems to be about right overall), cross-cut the strands, and then loosely load the pipe. I guess this is more or less the same as cube cut, but I tried just leaving the flakes whole and cutting them, but that never seemed to work out for me either. I was also having problems with fold and stuff or fully rubbing them out before, but part of that was probably because I wasn't letting the tobacco dry enough before trying to smoke it. However, the pull into strands, dry, and cross cut method seems to also help me to get the pack right. Folded flakes always seemed too tight in several of my pipes and I couldn't seem to get rubbed out to pack right either. I'm still experimenting and trying to figure the various pipe smoking processes out, but I'm liking my current process for flakes quite a bit. It also worked well for the Savinelli Brunello last night.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
My newly derived method (well, new to me) is to loosely pull a flake apart into strands, let them air dry for 2-6 hours depending on the feel (4-ish hours seems to be about right overall), cross-cut the strands, and then loosely load the pipe. I guess this is more or less the same as cube cut, but I tried just leaving the flakes whole and cutting them, but that never seemed to work out for me either. I was also having problems with fold and stuff or fully rubbing them out before, but part of that was probably because I wasn't letting the tobacco dry enough before trying to smoke it. However, the pull into strands, dry, and cross cut method seems to also help me to get the pack right. Folded flakes always seemed too tight in several of my pipes and I couldn't seem to get rubbed out to pack right either. I'm still experimenting and trying to figure the various pipe smoking processes out, but I'm liking my current process for flakes quite a bit. It also worked well for the Savinelli Brunello last night.

I'm curious, any reason you dry the strands before cross cutting?

I personally use scissors to cut strips, then cross cut into cubes/squares and only then lay them out to dry. To me, the finer you cut it before drying the quicker it dries. I dry most flakes and coins for 15-30 minutes at most.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I'm curious, any reason you dry the strands before cross cutting?

I personally use scissors to cut strips, then cross cut into cubes/squares and only then lay them out to dry. To me, the finer you cut it before drying the quicker it dries. I dry most flakes and coins for 15-30 minutes at most.
Yes, you are 100% correct about cutting before drying to decrease drying time. I discovered that with the Brunello. I pulled that flake into strands, cross cut it, and then let it dry. Probably saved and hour of dry time. I should have noted that in my post.