PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
Hi all, I have some questions regarding the cube-cut method with flakes, which I've had success with so far.

• Is it normal to have a relatively open draw when gravity-filling the cubes or does it mean I should cut smaller cubes/tamp harder?

• Do you tamp at all (apart from the charring light maybe) or just tap the bowl every now and then to re-arrange the cubes?

• I guess it's hard to generalize, but how long do you usually dry your flakes for?

Thanks a lot!

Reactions: Thepipehunter
a. yes, but as you smoke and tamp the first time, it all adjusts.
b. Mostly just a couple of times. The tobacco starts expanding with the heat, so I have to push them back down to create a bed of coals on top. Towards the end, if I find that I am not getting much (or a muted) flavor, I might tamp.
c. "How long" is relative. In Alabama's high humidity, leaving tobacco out will most likely make it wetter the longer you leave it. So, I use a coffee mug warmer and dry the whole tin out, or I will nuke a pipe full in the microwave for 8 seconds. I prefer mine to be on the crunchy side of average, but it depends on the flake and experience with that blend.
YMMV

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
a. yes, but as you smoke and tamp the first time, it all adjusts.
b. Mostly just a couple of times. The tobacco starts expanding with the heat, so I have to push them back down to create a bed of coals on top. Towards the end, if I find that I am not getting much (or a muted) flavor, I might tamp.
c. "How long" is relative. In Alabama's high humidity, leaving tobacco out will most likely make it wetter the longer you leave it. So, I use a coffee mug warmer and dry the whole tin out, or I will nuke a pipe full in the microwave for 8 seconds. I prefer mine to be on the crunchy side of average, but it depends on the flake and experience with that blend.
YMMV

I'm going to try the microwave.. on your recomendation. I sure have been fighting the urge.

I'm going to try the microwave.. on your recomendation. I sure have been fighting the urge.
8 seconds, will just merely heat it up slightly, but if you let it set in the microwave after finishing for a few minutes, the heat will drive out the moisture. I don't use this often, but in a pinch, it does the trick.

If you take it our just after it finishes, it will be warm, but will retain a lot of the original moisture.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
8 seconds, will just merely heat it up slightly, but if you let it set in the microwave after finishing for a few minutes, the heat will drive out the moisture. I don't use this often, but in a pinch, it does the trick.

If you take it our just after it finishes, it will be warm, but will retain a lot of the original moisture.

Yes, I was afraid it could make it soggy. I've been using my wife's hair dryer and some lace material over a big bowl. It usually makes quite a mess and annoys the owner of the hair dryer. Haha

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
The downside of cubes is that they easily block the airway, they easily fall out of the pipe, and they can expand so much that the draw is impeded. I made cubes for a while, then found other ways to more fully rub out flakes. When smoking cubes, I always feel like I'm on a 'high wire' trying to balance the pipe to keep the contents from falling out in my lap. YMMV

Reactions: Thepipehunter

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
I cube cut flakes exclusively at this point and have no issues with flavor/draw. Dry time is almost always more is better but I am often not patient enough for my SamGaw flakes and my mouth is punished.

Thepipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2020
WV
I think draw is preference, but with most Rubbed flakes and Cube cuts I do a gravity fill so it is more open

Give it a light tamp every so often. If it needs tamped you can tell. The ash will collapse like a ribbon cut, but maybe not to the same degree.

Moisture is also personal preference, and also different blends smoke better at different moisture levels. Experiment a lot and find what works for you. I do prefer fairly dry though.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
For Samuel Gawith flakes I cube cut them in the morning and smoke in the evening. I cut them pretty small, bit smaller than this letter "o" and gravity fill, never tamping past the first light and about midway through the bowl.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
For Samuel Gawith flakes I cube cut them in the morning and smoke in the evening. I cut them pretty small, bit smaller than this letter "o" and gravity fill, never tamping past the first light and about midway through the bowl.
That is some precision cutting! Wait...is that a cell phone screen "o" or a 30" desktop screen "O"?

Jan 27, 2020
I got this for Christmas and isn’t probably capable to turn flake into snuff in a matter of minutes but I’m inclined don’t not to try...

ACAB9968-C031-44C4-AFE5-7F11A76093F6.jpeg