PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You could sell one of those Xmas cheer and get 10 tins of Cringle though as a trade off.
Not into pipes and tobacco for profit, I actually find it appalling when someone is asking such prices. I really dislike it when they add perique to red Virginias. Any other Virginias are fine but there are too few remaining straight red Virginia blends.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I went deep on Carolina Red Flake this year.
giphy.webp

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
I’ve always missed out on this but, as a gift from the wife to me (that she let me pick out) I went ahead and got a decent amount.

It’ll probably be in the cellar for a bit, but the economy being what it is, I am just glad to add this to the cellar even if it’s the only time I buy it.

This hobby definitely isn’t getting cheaper as the years go by.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I’d read that this 2022 release supposedly used the same ingredients as the 2021 release, though they’re a year older now. That’s what the tobaccopipes.com write up on this release says, at least:

I like the sound of more dark fruit!
Yes, but I did point out that when dried, the citrus takes over. The 2021 was citrus forward, and while the dark fruit in the 2022 is barely ahead of the citrus, it never was in the previous production.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Yeah I grabbed 2 at 6 am or so. Not so much because I am big on blends marketed as Christmas blends, but for the price of the tin given the age of the components. The 1.5 oz size did slip past me though, but I’ll be ok.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
No, I think they made many more tins this year. Tp’s alone had close to 4000 tins this year. Sp’s probably had more. I would say it’s probably a 12k or 15k run this year.
Well that sure makes sense too. I’m excited to pop a tin, so I’m glad they did. Because I wasn’t going to stay up til midnight over it.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I don't normally get too excited when C&D releases a new blend, but I'm going to give this a try. I ordered two tins of the stuff. As I said I'm going to give it a try, not dive in.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I’d read that this 2022 release supposedly used the same ingredients as the 2021 release, though they’re a year older now.
Does that mean they aged already manufactured flakes another year, or that the leaf was still aged separately? Does anyone know?

I've seen some ancient pilons of cigar leaf in the DE warehouse in Estelí, and it gets deliciously reeky! The whole equation changes after assemblage.

It would be interesting to taste the two years side by side.... I might just do a "vertical" tasting of the whole series - now that would be fun!

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I don't normally get too excited when C&D releases a new blend, but I'm going to give this a try. I ordered two tins of the stuff. As I said I'm going to give it a try, not dive in.
The price is better this year, (at least it is pretty good on SPC) - I think it's a safe investment, as they are great gifts and easily traded later if you don't care for it!

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Yes, but I did point out that when dried, the citrus takes over. The 2021 was citrus forward, and while the dark fruit in the 2022 is barely ahead of the citrus, it never was in the previous production.
Thank you for your expert insights! I’m looking forward to trying it both ways (more and less dried).

And thank you as always for your early review on tobaccoreviews.com. I very much appreciate them. I read through your review several times before purchasing.