PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PennyStonks

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
Aged 23 years, US grown Red Virginias are mixed with a very special tobacco—Stoved Katerini. This unique ingredient brings the mellow sweetness of stoved tobacco to the herbal Oriental. Finally, the mixture is boldly spiced with Perique from 2003—the last of this stock that has graced the series since 2020.

Cringle Flake 2023 marries tradition and innovation in a flavorful mixture that unites our drive to explore the art of blending with the staples that have made this series a cherished holiday tradition.

I was really hoping for a version without perique this year but instead they just added stoved Katerini to last year’s. Not sure how I feel about this.

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
I wonder if Cringle Flake will ever get back to just being red Virginia.

I guess I can see why they are doing something different. There’s already Carolina Red Flake working us Christmas Cheer-esque limited-release single-origin straight red Virginia people. But as one of those people, I’d still be interested in another option.

Please. Give the people what they want. It’s Christmas…

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I still have some of the 2022 Cringle flake. I remember thinking it was OK at the time when I got it. I tried to smoke some back in spring though (maybe March?) and I didn't care for it at all. I've still held on to the tin to see if I will like it better when it gets cold again for the month or so that it does here.

If not, I have plenty of English with varying degrees of lat and perique to get me through, as well as one tin of one of this years many limited holiday special tins.

As much as I love oriental leaf though, I can't see last years being better by adding Katerini if that's all they did, and it's not cold enough for long enough here for me to want it (if it turns out weather is a factor for that one).

Razorback

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Wow, it’s September and last year’s version is still available for purchase. Either production was increased 3x from prior year or folks are just focusing elsewhere.

2020 is my favorite year; I offloaded the rest.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I sent some of the ‘19 to a forum member and am keeping what little I have left and don’t mind the versions with Perique but my palate can’t distinguish among those recent versions so it’s one I know I won’t order again. Agree on the Christmas Cheer and 40th for that matter and kind of feel the same. And have found other Vas I like with the kind guidance of @hoosierpipeguy and @Chasing Embers (yep, I put you two in the same sentence ✌️ 🥰) and others I like much better.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I have enjoyed the Katerini that I have tasted in blends like Anomalous but it's not something that I am in love with. I may pick up a tin or two of this year's Cringle Flake just out of sentimentality, or I may not. I stocked up on the previous iterations and should be good for some time. I do miss the yearly McClelland Christmas Cheer offerings and thankfully still have a few tins left to scratch that itch.

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I always buy this for the cellar and for Christmas gifts. Doesn't sound like a bad thing to me...

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There has not yet been a straight red Virginia that lives up to McClelland Christmas. So I keep enjoying the Cringle Flake releases. I will be getting some with Katerini, as I have enjoyed this leaf in a few blends. I actually just acquired some of the stoved Katerini to try on its own.
Yeah but that 2020 Cringle Flake was pretty close to the McClelland funk.

The Perique they were using was unique, just beautiful, and this will be the last of it. Fortunately I have a couple of tubs of it that I bought from Mark Ryan years ago.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Wow, it’s September and last year’s version is still available for purchase. Either production was increased 3x from prior year or folks are just focusing elsewhere.

2020 is my favorite year; I offloaded the rest.
I think it's a combination of the two - folks want a straight VA, and production is probably up if I had to guess.

Groot5225

Might Stick Around
Feb 3, 2023
I wonder if Cringle Flake will ever get back to just being red Virginia.

I guess I can see why they are doing something different. There’s already Carolina Red Flake working us Christmas Cheer-esque limited-release single-origin straight red Virginia people. But as one of those people, I’d still be interested in another option.

Please. Give the people what they want. It’s Christmas…
Hopefully you were able to pick up some Krampusnacht from tobaccopipes. It’s just red Virginia like the ‘19 cringle flake.

• Love
Reactions: Mrs. Pickles

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I purchased the '23 version and just tried it yesterday. I was worried about it being too dry out of the tin because I read that in a few reviews. Not true with the tin I opened; the moisture level was perfect for me. The flakes are thick cut; large pieces of tobacco after rubbed out. I enjoyed a bowl for an hour or so - small pipe, a Heeschen I got 20 years ago. Smooth, no bite, lots of flavor, burned cool, really very nice and the oriental in it made it unlike other blends in my cellar. I am very happy I did not pass on this version. Like many here I have a fair supply of tobacco, even from this series; this version is different than the others.