Craziest thing you've used for a tamper?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
In a pinch, have you ever used:
- a stick

- your thumb (ouch)

- the end of a ball point pen

- the sharp end of a knife in a circle
Or my all time favorite:
- a golf tee

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Use my thumb (well, actually a finger) all the time, I don't like fiddling with a tool when I'm behind the wheel. As for the golf-tee, well, it's only natural that I'll reach for it while on the course; I don't like crap in my pockets on the links, while there is always a tee tucked behind my ear. All said, I might use an actual tamper about 40% of the time, actually.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Piece of 3/8 copper tube from my work bench. Now that I think of it that worked quite well. I have also used the ends of some of my tools like channel locks or pliers.

pretty much if its not flammable and fits in the bowl I use it. :rofl:

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
My thumb. Once.
A paper clip (just stretch out one end for the poker end and bend the curved part of the other end for a tamper--works pretty good).

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
A spent 7.62 shell with a pointed projectile pressed back on. Someone saw me using it once time and told me to 'be careful with that!'. I told him I don't tamp that hard. Ya shoulda seen the look on his face. ;)

johnd

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2012
A 45-70 rifle cartridge case, empty of course. Nice and long; and a rimmed cartridge makes a fine tamper.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Just my finger every once in a while. Don't have any spent brass, all mine's live, but I don't reload (yet) either.

irish2fish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2011
Alaska
A spent 7.62 shell with a pointed projectile pressed back on. Someone saw me using it once time and told me to 'be careful with that!'. I told him I don't tamp that hard. Ya shoulda seen the look on his face. [;)]
:rofl:

My finger more often than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.