Craziest thing you've used for a tamper?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
A used nitro bottle

A scissors

A Pen Cap

My finger

Top cover of the Lighter

AA Battery

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
An inverted Dewar's Scotch miniature... Empty of course.
drunken_smilie.png

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Guys, you leave the lid on for goodness sake! LOL Trust me, the logic of "let me remove this flat plastic surface from this round tube to expose the flavored and dyed wax within to hot ash" does not compute.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Yeah, the outside anyways. ;) We should use that in an ad: lip hydration formula complete with a special ingredient to guard against pipe stem oxidation!

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
It's all good, dgerwin! :lol:
I think we have a good idea for an advertisement, though! It could be like the pipe smokers' carmex. I wonder if we could flavor it...
(mini CARMEX rant: they discontinued the mint version! Bastards! I cannot abide that cherry swill and wtf is up with the au naturale taste? Is mint so hard to market?!)

fredvegas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2010
I keep a czech pipe tool on my keychain, so I pretty much always have a tamper with me, but I usually forget it's in my pocket, and I end up using my finger or thumb. I grew up watching my grandfather (a cattle farmer) smoking a pipe, and I never saw him use anything other than his fingers to tamp.

bearhntr

Lurker
Mar 8, 2012
DGerwin11... that was great! :worship:
For me, the strangest things have used as a tamper would be:
The cork from an empty Scotch bottle works well for the larger bowls

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
How can any of us beat "squid fossil." haha
If I can weigh in on using your finger. I don't. Not cause I'm afraid of getting burned. It just doesn't tamp evenly. In a pinch, roll up a scrap of paper and then fold it in half. Works perfect.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
jcsnaps wins the thread so far! He'd probably also get along with my brother who has an embalmed shark's head in his office (which his wife HATES!)

Status
Not open for further replies.