3 Fresh Werner Mummert Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Gregg1980

Might Stick Around
Hi all! So I bought this new Peterson pipe a few weeks ago and have been slowly breaking it in. I’ve noticed all of a sudden these little imperfections. I didn’t really check the pipe before so I’m not sure if they were there before hand or if they are new. Is this quite normal for a new pipe? I am new to pipe smoking but none the less have been smoking this very gently and certainly haven’t sat on it or anything. What do you think?

3AA1963D-6872-4AA4-90F5-F8DE32527391.jpeg

Attachments

• F597F5B1-6DF3-4C16-8393-E43467744A72.jpeg
    F597F5B1-6DF3-4C16-8393-E43467744A72.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 101
  • C815FDD6-3976-481E-A6E7-B2C9DC9CFA79.jpeg
    C815FDD6-3976-481E-A6E7-B2C9DC9CFA79.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 101

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I see some dings and at least one crack, on the right side near the bowl. It doesn't seem to be in new pipe condition. If it were me I'd mention it to the vendor and see if they'd do anything about it, even though it's been smoked.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Well sir, as has been mentioned above... that's not a "new" pipe. Might be new to you, but it has been handled quite a bit to be in that condition. However, doesn't seem to be anything to worry about.

I'll say this though... if it's a issue for you, and you don't get resolution from the vendor, then lemme take a look at it. The Pete 150 is my favorite pipe and I'm always in the market for another one. If it's in good enough condition, I'll trade you a pipe for it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That looks like some excellent birdseye grain. It's odd that they wouldn't have prettied it up more at the factory. Maybe it was Friday afternoon. I think the pipe is probably sound and I would enjoy it for its virtues. That's some nice grain that shows up well.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Hi all! So I bought this new Peterson pipe a few weeks ago and have been slowly breaking it in. I’ve noticed all of a sudden these little imperfections. I didn’t really check the pipe before so I’m not sure if they were there before hand or if they are new. Is this quite normal for a new pipe? I am new to pipe smoking but none the less have been smoking this very gently and certainly haven’t sat on it or anything. What do you think?

View attachment 134577
Hi, I have had the same 'divets' appear in my pipes. One NOS Savinelli from the 60's and two 70's Erica Seconds (Peterson). I call them divets not cracks. Briar grows in rocky soil and as it grows it absorbs or surrounds some of those rocks, pebbles, sand particles. That's part of its natural beauty. After the pipe is made if there are alot of divets they rusticate or sandblast. If none they make it a smooth pipe. But as you handle it sometimes sand or micro small pebbles pop out as you wear away some of the surface through natural handling and heat from smoking. Its not an imperfection but rather a natural progression that occurs and is a sign that you have a true briar. Many of us consider it a thing of natural beauty or proof of authenticity (O.K., Maybe just me! I like natural). I think its a fine and beautiful pipe. If you get a big stone that pops out you can have it "filled" if you think it will effect smoking. Is completely natural and normal and yours aren't bad. One of my peterson seconds had those filled at the factory ... I have had it for about 35 yrs and it still smokes like a Peterson. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have to have perfectly smooth pipe ... then go buy that where its coated or painted to hide the natural beauty. Just my two cents ... Happy St. Patrick's Day ! But by all means enjoy that pipe until you decide what you're going to do !!!! Best Wishes !

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton

View attachment 134577
P.S. I looked at those pictures again and that pipe has stunning birds eye grain. I would definitely buy that pipe for that alone.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
info about what a burl is. Pipes are made from a type of root burl. So if stress of some sort causes burls then it only makes sense that briar would have pits and all that stuff. It's got nothing to do with the quality of the briar in my opinion. Part of the reason the whole hand carved thing is supposed to be special is you can basically carve around imperfections instead of just having them and then trying to cover them up in some way.

Reactions: STP

Gregg1980

Might Stick Around
Hi, I have had the same 'divets' appear in my pipes. One NOS Savinelli from the 60's and two 70's Erica Seconds (Peterson). I call them divets not cracks. Briar grows in rocky soil and as it grows it absorbs or surrounds some of those rocks, pebbles, sand particles. That's part of its natural beauty. After the pipe is made if there are alot of divets they rusticate or sandblast. If none they make it a smooth pipe. But as you handle it sometimes sand or micro small pebbles pop out as you wear away some of the surface through natural handling and heat from smoking. Its not an imperfection but rather a natural progression that occurs and is a sign that you have a true briar. Many of us consider it a thing of natural beauty or proof of authenticity (O.K., Maybe just me! I like natural). I think its a fine and beautiful pipe. If you get a big stone that pops out you can have it "filled" if you think it will effect smoking. Is completely natural and normal and yours aren't bad. One of my peterson seconds had those filled at the factory ... I have had it for about 35 yrs and it still smokes like a Peterson. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have to have perfectly smooth pipe ... then go buy that where its coated or painted to hide the natural beauty. Just my two cents ... Happy St. Patrick's Day ! But by all means enjoy that pipe until you decide what you're going to do !!!! Best Wishes !
I have to say that certainly puts my mind at rest. Thank you.

Reactions: anotherbob

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Imperfections in briar. You can see it better if you zoom up. Probably too small to fill or something. Prefer not filling small imperfections. Do you wash your pipe with water after smoke? Inside and outside?

Reactions: STP and anotherbob