PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jayniehoff

Lurker
Dec 12, 2017
I bought a lightly used churchwarden meerschaum off ebay, and it turns out there is a a small crack on the shank. It looks like there is a speck embedded and the crack is originating from that. It is in a spot where there is still some meerschaum holding it in place, and doesn't look too deep. Should I just leave it, or maybe put some kind of glue/epoxy to strengthen that spot, as a preventative measure? In the pictures it is hard to see, the spot is in between the coloring and the bowl/shank junction. It smokes well, and I really like the shape, it almost looks like an old style clay pipe, it even passes a pipe cleaner!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/typn2kcxq5aleaa/AABKkapMGiX93zUCXvr6osSIa?dl=0
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I would leave it and see if it gets any worse. It doesn't look bad, but if it starts to grow too much then you may need to consider applying something to stop it. I have no experience with repairing cracks in meerschaum, but I would think a thin line a super glue applied with a thin brush would do the trick. :?:

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Was that declared in the sale? If it was not, it is grounds for a return or a partial refund. Talk with your seller. It's a personal decision, but if you spent good $ I'd want a meerschaum without a slight abrasion that may or may not worsen.
If it was an inexpensive pipe, I'd request a partial refund and not worry about smoking the living daylights out of it.
Good cheer --- and welcome!

wasnsfisher

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2017
Not much experience on Meers Mate, so I can be of little help. If it was a cheaper pipe and not worth sending away to be repaired, a touch of Monster Glue works wonders as Meers smoke cool anyway.

jayniehoff

Lurker
Dec 12, 2017
It's an Altinok pipe that was $100. I have a feeling like that crack was already there because of the speck of dirt embedded in the meerschaum, but it could of been me too. This pipe is pretty lightly built and the shank tapers toward the bowl, so maybe when I took the stem off I put too much torque on that spot, by holding the bowl and twisting the stem out. I'll just smoke the hell out of it and hope for the best. Once the tobacco oils get to that spot, hopefully it will seal up. If not I'll try some glue.

Thanks for the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.